Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Groups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgreer

MIS
Jul 18, 2003
US
This might be the wrong forum to ask this in. I am trying to organize my user profiles on the AS400. I want to be able to put users into certain groups. I don't want the group to have the authority, the only purpose for the group is categoize the users. I want the authority be handle per user base. Also whats the command to create a group.

Thanks

kgreer,

You need to read up on Group Profiles. I believe that is the direction you are headed.

HTH,
MdnghtPgmr

Create a new profile dedicated to be as a group profile then set the newly created group profile to user profile's GRPPRF kwd and keep OWNER(*USRPRF).
hth

Talkturkey is off, long live to Mercury2

Mercury2,

I was wondering about that just yesterday! Thanks for the heads up.

MdnghtPgmr

kgreer,

e.g. you want to put users of accounting dept into the same group, say ACCOUNT.

Basically this is what I'd do:

1/ Create the group profile ACCOUNT
CRTUSRPRF USRPRF(ACCOUNT) ... GRPPRF(*NONE) ...

2/ Then for each user in accounting dept, update the GRPPRF kwd as follows :
CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(MyUser) ... GRPPRF(ACCOUNT) OWNER(*USRPRF)

OK, I understand now, thanks for the explanation

One more question.....

After I assign each person to a group, can I run some type of report to return each person within a group?

yes, you can create the report you want with query/400.

1/ DSPUSRPRF USRPRF(*ALL) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/QADSPUPB)
2/ Create a QRY400 report over the QTEMP/QADSPUPB file and select records where UPGRPF = 'ACCOUNT' or whatever you put into GRPPRF kwd.

You could wrap up both DSPUSRPRF and RUNQRY in a CL program to submit in batch mode.

kgreer - You can also use the AcctCde parameter. I've assigned my profiles a certain number (001) that represent what location they are at, then you can setup a query. I can get you an example if you'd like.

Rich Bateman
American Bank of Texas
select * from Life where Brain is not null

i will send you the info tomorrow when i get to work.

Rich Bateman
American Bank of Texas
select * from Life where Brain is not null

Once you have your users in groups, Navigator has a GUI where you can view users by groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back