Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user gets new laptop, laptop hasn't been seen in two months 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesward

MIS
Mar 20, 2009
US
I have a user who had a laptop that was about three years old and quite slow. I was excited about getting him a new one. Every time I try to back it up, he complains.

I bought one for him, and he complained that it was too heavy. It went to someone else.

I bought the user another laptop. I set it up and gave it to him. I asked him about his old laptop. He said that he would keep the old laptop for the transition. I offered to do the transition for him. He said that he could copy his critical files.

The laptop has since disappeared. He is still in his office using his old laptop. Is he only using the new laptop at home? Did he give it to one of his kids?

All I know is that my company paid about $1500 for a laptop for this user to use for his work at our company. Every time I walk by his office, I see him using the old one. The new one is nowhere in sight.

I have already mentioned this to my manager once. I simply asked him: "Have you seen his new laptop?"

Organise a full asset audit for the department. He'll be required to bring it in.

Then you and your manager can decide what to do next. I would take the old one away and force him to use the new one.

I agree with hjgodlstein. Organise a full asset audit for the department.

I'd be wondering what he has on his old laptop that he doesn't want anyone to see. A rogue programme perhaps that he wouldn't be able to install on his new laptop?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

My question is: if he was happy with his old laptop, why wasting money and forcing him to use a new one? Let him be happy with his oold laptop and use the budget to get lollypops for everyone

Cheers,
Dian

I agree with all of the above. Force him to produce both the old one and the new one for inspection. Force him to choose one or the other, but not both. Then have the person in IT who is responsible for such activities set up the chosen machine and slick the other so somebody else can use it.

Perhaps this person needs to be reminded that assets issued to him/her by the company, still belong to the company and are not "his/hers", for their liesure activities/personal use. Not sure what is all on your laptop's, but i would think that the company would like to know who has access to their data, and where their tools are. I would say an asset audit is in order, then force this person to produce the old laptop, so you can clean off company data and recycle it.

An asset audit is a lot of hassle for you and the staff you audit, and maybe there are a few things to try first.

Perhaps you could ask him what the problem is? Enormous tact and sensitivity may be necessary: although he may be up to no good, it's far from sure: he could also just be someone who dislikes change, or even someone who is terrified of IT and change and has learnt which buttons to push on his old laptop and can't work out how to use the new. If you're really lucky, the new is sitting in his filing cabinet, and all that's needed is some careful training. It's heartbreaking when you try to help someone and they dumbly refuse to be helped, but perhaps Diane is right. If he's getting on OK with his old laptop, there may be little point in doing more than letting him know: "if you don't want it, would you mind popping it back to me so I can give it to /George/Joan/James/... who are asking for one...

Just figure out what the old laptop cost when it was purchased, along with all of the software that is installed on it. Then send him a letter stating that if he doesn't bring it back he'll be getting a bill from the company for that amount. Paying $2000-$3000 for a laptop that's probably not worth $400 might be some motivation.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

I didn't see anything in the original post, nor in
any of the responses, about simply ASKING him about
it. Is there a good reason for not doing that?

Randy

Yup, randy700, exactly what I was suggesting... sometimes a simple, friendly approach is worth a try.

Perhaps he can't figure out how to transfer the files to the new laptop and doesn't want to look stupid after saying he could. But using the old one when he has a new one isn't very bright either. Have you heard of Kijiji or ebay?
In any case I think it is time to remind him that he is an employee not the owner. As mentioned use as much tact as needed.

hinesward,
any update on this? I've been following the posts and just wondered if you ever got this resolved!

Leslie

We saw it in here a couple weeks ago. My manager is watching it more, too.

Maybe hindsight on this one, but do you have any company policy that says the IT staff is responsible for file transfers? Or do you have network shares? This is what I mean by network shares:

Whenever someone here (I can use myself as an example) gets a new machine, or needs an OS reinstall, we can simply back-up anything (if it's not already on the network share) to the network share. That way when the new machine is ready, or the reinstall finished, we can simply back our data back to our machines. Honestly, though, I think most people just leave that 100% up to the IT staff anyway. But many use the network shares.

From a company perspective in our day, it can be extremely risky to let anyone just walk off with 2 laptops in particular, and let them swap/transfer stuff as they see fit. I'd just have the heebie-jeebies if it were me.. too many ways to do too many things, really.

Unfortunately, a lot of data is still maintained on workstations and laptops. I don't mind letting people do this very simple task. After all, they know what they need and what they don't need. The only things I transfer are the Outlook PST files. Most importantly, if users transfer data and some data gets lost, they know that it's NOT MY FAULT.

I know that every time user has left any company I've worked for, I have given them a short speech: "If there is anything on that computer that you do not want anyone else to find, get it off the computer now." This was with regular workstations. I would apply the same attitude with laptops.

Tell him that the company owns the computer and that you are responsible for ensuring that all used computers are returned. Tell him that he has one week to return the computer and if he does not, you will disable his network access. Tell him you will re-activate him once you get the laptop back. Get your manager to agree to this course of action. And then follow through.

The user has departed from the company. Her turned in both laptops. The new laptop had hardly been used.

That's one way to solve the problem.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back