Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user game playing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsol

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
GB
Hi All

Excuse my ignorance but I'm new to server stuff and having recently set up a server 2003 system I now find that the games that were played (and installed) on the workstations can now only be accessed when you log in as administrator.

As all the users have to be set up again (it was a migration from NT4) does this mean that each user once set up will have to re-install any game they want to play???

Thanks

Pete

All you need to do is add them as administrators to the local machine. Go to Control Panel....Users....Add

Larry

Does this mean that even though the user is logged on to the server (just as a normal user, not an administrator) they can, at the same time be logged on to the local machine as an administrator???

If not is there a way of setting up a user for example "gameuser" so that they can all log on to the server using that name and play games??

Thanks

Sounds a bit silly when it's stated as also logged in as, but remember these are permissions. Numerous permissions are setup within large corporations and having localadmin is not that uncommon.

If all the users are members of the same group, you can add this to the local admin group, then no matter which of the game users logs in, they will have local admin. If you want to set up the user on that machine only, log in as an administrator and add only that users domain profile to the local admin group.

What kind of company are you working for? I don't let my users play game during working hour and I don't want to help them to set it up even they say they will only play during lunch hour.

What would be the best way to control this so that all a user would have to do would be to log in as normal and play the game, assuming it could be one of about 100 users and it didn't give them administrative access to the server??
In this case how should the game be installed, indeed how should any game be installed on any workstation..........by any user or by an administrator???
Very confused????????????

Think Group Policies... assign the game users to the security group and assign the application to the users?

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Oh dear..........remember I'm new to this........exactly how would I do this????????/

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back