Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Form Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecollett

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
NZ
hello all!

Today is my first foray into the realm of custom forms.
Needless to say I am having problems - i cannot get the simplest custom form to work.

1 - we do not have exchange server.

2 - we have outlook 2000

3 - i have managed to get as far as designing a form, publishing it to my personal folder, saving it as a template, sending that to another computer, opening the template on the other computer, publishing it there (with the same name) to the personal folder there. it opens on both when choosing a new form, but will not show on either other once sent.

according to the stuff i can find, it should work.

what am i missing??

cheers
mike c

There are two parts to the form. The form you create when you are creating a new message to send and then the form the end-user sees when you send it to them.

Sounds like you have only done the first part and you still need to do the second part.

When creating a form on the toolbar you will see two buttons. One labeled "Edit Compose Page" and then the second "Edit Read Page". You need to click on "Edit Read Page" to create the form that the end user is going to see when you send the form to them.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

YES YES YES YES YES Thankyou

i unticked the separate read layout and it worked and i whacked together another one with read and compose pages and they both worked.

now i get down to the nitty gritties!

i did a combo box and then created a feild through the properties box of the combo box (seems backwards after dealing with access for so many years!) and the data (choice) was sent and recieved OK. the data in a text box (not based on a feild) was recieved blank. so it appears for data to be recieved (or sent, whatever) it has to be in a feild. yes?

why?

are the feild definitions stored in the form?

or are they stuffed elsewhere when the form is published?

if so can different forms use the same feilds?

or am i way of track?

again.

sorry to burble, but i have not had a chance to chat with somebody who knows about this customisable forms business before.

Cheers

Mike C

Mike,

Did you get a reply to your problems? I am having a similar problem where the recipient of the email cannot see data entered into the text boxes by the sender.

Thanks
Adam

Helo Adam!

No sorry - I havent even looked at custom forms since then.

I got my SQL server shortly after my last post on this thread, so have been totally absorbed with that. The email custom forms were (are!) part of the master plan, but I have yet to finish the database migration / rewrites to the server. Im about 80% done. (6 or so to go)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back