Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User files, settings, and program transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnjaved

IS-IT--Management
Dec 25, 2004
CA
Does some one know how one can transfer users files, settings, and PROGRAMS ( not only files and settings) from one computer to another in a domain? So that one doesn't have to re-install all the programs again.

Thanks!!!!

I dont know if it does programs, but there is a "migration" tool within XP. I think its call "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". It can be found under accessories > System Tools. Check it out.

Thanks for the reply djtech2k but that files and settings transfer wizard only transfer's files and settings not the programs. I know there's a way in which you need to copy a .dat file from the user and then move it to new user but i don't know the exact procedure. Hopefull someone will come along with some details on that procedure.

Thanks again!!

To my knowledge, no such program exists. Every program that is installed to a system (unless it's a DOS program) creates registry entries and registers .dll's with the OS. Each application could have 100's of entries scattered across your drive.

Any type of copying tool would probably take longer than a re-install of the software itself. Is this a problem of not having the original software?

The only thing I can think of is an imaging program like ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back