Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user defined query items

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
given 2 tables - with these fields

client - with client_ID and Carrier_Name
carrier - with Carrier_ID and Carrier_Name

I have a query which I set manually to use one of each of the fields from each table to filter the result.

Is it possible to get a list of the items in question to open up on running the query so that the user can select each of the items from the list.

As it stands now I am writing a separate query for each of the scenarios that come up repeatedly or doing it manually each time that I need a new combination.

Thanx

Hi

Not sure I understand your question properly, but a few observations

Table structure should probably be

client
client_ID (PK)
Client_Name
Carrier_Id
..etc

carrier
Carrier_ID
Carrier_Name

You make a query joining the two tables on Carrier_Id, you have parameters where user can enter values to act a criteria on the query so limiting the number of rows returned to those required

The parameters are usually entered via forms which have text boxes or dropdown lists (combo boxes) to allow users to enter of choose (say) the cleint or carrier they require

Is that what you are getting at?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Yes that is what I am trying to do.

I can do the query part of this with no problem but have no idea how to make the form that will let the non technical user selcect the parameters.

thanx

Well making the form is no problem just go to the database window, Forms tab and click new, put a text box of control (or combo box) on the form, if a combo box the wizard will guide you through what to do. Then in your query, open in design view and use the builder wizaed to set the criteria to point to the form and control, you will get a criteria which looks like Forms!MyForm!MyCombo

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back