Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMINNICH

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
Hi, All.
I have a VB 6 application that uses several User Controls.
I'm A) Building the application
B) Making an install set using Installshield Express
C) Test installing on a Win 98 system
I get an error "Failed to load ctlCustomer from. Your version may be outdated."
Any ideas?

I assume you are trying to use it on a different PC, right?

Make sure you include all ActiveX controls or OCX controls in the Install shield setup. They might reside on your PC, but, you have to include them in the setup files...

I hope I answered your question.

Good Luck! Tekno

Thanks, Tekno, I think we're close... Are the User Controls compiled seperately? They appear to be a part of the project. I can find ctlCustomer.ctl (I think that's the extension)(source code, I can't remember the extension, because I'm home now) and ctlCustomer.ctx but no ctlCustomer.ocx. I'm the pointy haired boss and this was written by someone else... :}

If the User Controls are listed in your project under User Controls, then tey are compiled with the project with no OCX or resistration needed.. If not, they must be compiled into an OCX and included with the project as part of the installation. Generate Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Class
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

John;
Thanks. That's what I thought. I figured they were the equivalent of C++ classes (almost). So why do you think I'm getting the message above?

Msminnich,

After you compile your user controls into the ocx make sure you use regsvr32 to register them with th OS. Then you can add the components to your project just like any other control. Hope this helps. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.
[cheers]

User Controls in source form can be "flaky" if you forget to close the "Designer" i.e. the Visible display of the control before compiling or if you mess up something in the code that executes at Design-Time. I make sure that when I changed the User Control that I close the "Designer" then vist each form that has the control on it to check it and to execute any "design-time" code (Mine needs to record screen and appearance dimensions at design-time).

By the way. Is that "FROM" or "FORM"? Perhaps there is a FORM problem rather than a User-Control problem. This could happen if a needed OCX for a VB control was not packaged OR a control like the DBGrid was shipped without a proper license. What is the "exact" message? Generate Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Class
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

John, the word in question id From. The exact message is "Failed to load ctlCustomer from. Your version may be outdated." (not a typo). The program runs OK in the IDE, this just happens when I make the install set and install it on the test machine.

John;
By constituent controls, do you mean the User Controls? The App doesn't have any special stuff like Sheridan controls or anything, but the programmer encapsulated some of the functionality into user controls which sit on forms. Do I need to compile the User Controls seperately? I don't see any way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back