Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User configuration, Windows NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

krabban

Programmer
Oct 18, 2003
SE
I want the users to be able to logg on to their local computers as well as to the NT4 server. How do I make it one log-in?

What shall I look for...??

I hope I'm clear enough.

What are you trying to do ? Do you want users to have local admin rights with their domain login? It's not possible to login locally as well as on the domain there is the dropdown on logon screen for that. Let me know

Hmm... Well, I want the users to log on to the server and their local machines in one step. Like computers in networks are supporse to do!

you see, the point is, i really don't know what to write since I'm new with login scripts for Windows NT 4 clients.

I'm getting there... but you will need to fill out the blanks... or I will explain more.

It's nothing fancy, just a regular login with users.

(No, no admin privs where it's not suppose to be.)

Hi I am sorry I really don't understand what you mean by

log on to the server and their local machines in one step
you either logon to the domain or you logon locally. What type of script are you trying to write?

OK, if so, then the answer is "log on to the domain".

Sorry if I'm unclear here... The confusion is part of the question/prolem!

So... How do I set up a domain?

Where do I click?

are you trying to add clients to the domain ? If so you will need the following detail

1 name of domain
2 Domain adminstrator password

That enough for now is this what you want to do and do you have the above ?

1. No domain is choosen. (As what I think)

Start > Programs > Administrative tools > User manager for domains

I tried to select domain under User > Select Domain

Error message shows: "Could not fins domain controller for this domain".

So... How do I add a domain controller and where is that?

Thank you for exelent assistance!

It is now clear to me that I have installed the wrong type of server. I need to re-install and to choose the Primary version.

This could be the problem when you install you have to install primary domain controller (PDC)if this is the server that is going to host the domain. The other choices are Backup domain controller(BDC) and stand alone server. If you chose stand alone server you can not upgrade it to PDC or BDC you will have to reinstall from scratch. Let me know if you need any more help.

This could be the problem when you install you have to install primary domain controller (PDC)if this is the server that is going to host the domain. The other choices are Backup domain controller(BDC) and stand alone server. If you chose stand alone server you can not upgrade it to PDC or BDC you will have to reinstall from scratch. Let me know if you need any more help.

Thank you for your valuable input!

I installed a standalone server and I have now installed everything from scratch.

Now I shall start creating workgroups and adding users to the domain! I hope it will work better for me now!

The log-in seem not to be working extremely well...
Or, quite bad, to be honest.

I have been loggin on to the server for some days as a user, but since I also need to edit stuff my user is also Administrator privs.

What exactley do I need!?
Accountholder fot the user:
- Domain users
- Users (new one for me, have to try)

Permissions for the shared volume:
- Administrators (full control)
- Domain users (read)
- Users (read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor