Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user cant receive ip from his home dhcp, working fine at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

westaros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
SE
Hi

I got a user in my domain, and his laptop has been working fine both @ work and @ home. We're using DHCP @ work and his computer has no problem connecting to all our resources.

When he's at home, he uses a router with built-in dhcp and for some reason he can no longer receive an IP from it (it used to work before).

My own laptop has no problem using dhcp @ work and @ home, and the only obvious difference i can find is when using ipconfig /all. His nodetype is set to Hybrid, and mine is on Broadcast. Also, IP-routing activated says YES on his and NO on mine.

I once changed nodetype on a computer using registry but I'm not sure that would solve this problem, and I still wouldn't know why.

Help anyone?

Obviously there must be something wrong with his DHCP server (router). The nodetype has nothing to do with DHCP, it just states that when the laptop is at work it uses broadcasts to query netbios names and at home it will first try to locate a WINS server before sending out broadcasts.

Does he have other machines on his LAN which DO get an IP address from his router? Was the NIC in the notebook replaced by any chance? On some routers you can define MAC addresses...

Jeffrey Kusters

MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

I also suspect that could be the case. He just emailed me saying he managed to get it somewhat working. He now get a IP adress after a lot of tries, and once he does he get 50% loss when pinging. Thanks for the quick answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back