Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User can't logged in unless logged in as another user first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim the Pasta Thief

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2023
CA
We're having a strange issue that just cropped up today. A user that's normally always logged in to their phone was logged out today and prompting for the extension and password. When I tried to supply them, it would just say there was an authentication error, and go back to the prompt. I reset them on the IP Office Manager to be sure, and it still wouldn't accept them.

However, if I logged in as me, and then went to Features > Phone User and logged in as them using the same credentials supplied above, that worked fine.

Unfortunately, when I went back to my own desk, it obviously showed that I'd been knocked off. That was expected. But when I tried to log back in, it knocked them off their phone again. If they clicked "Continue" to take back the login, their phone went back to their user and knocked me off.

Any idea how to get back to being able to login directly as them so I can get my phone back? I actually kind of don't mind not having my phone active, but I expect my employer would prefer I have it on. :)

(Jokes aside, mostly I'm wondering why logging in as them doesn't work but logging in as me does, and why THEN logging in as them suddenly works.)

This is on Avaya IP Office 11.1.2.4.0 build 18.

This sounds like IP Phones, and your user does not have a "Base" extension configured with his extension number. When an IP phone comes up for the first time (or after you log out through the Craft menu) it will require the base extension number and the password configured in the Extensions section. Once the Base Extension is working, it there is a matching User extension number, it usually automatically logs in, or you may need to log in with the User's extension number and the password configured in User > Telephony > Supervisor Settings > Login code.

TouchToneTommy said:
This sounds like IP Phones, and your user does not have a "Base" extension configured with his extension number. When an IP phone comes up for the first time (or after you log out through the Craft menu) it will require the base extension number and the password configured in the Extensions section. Once the Base Extension is working, it there is a matching User extension number, it usually automatically logs in, or you may need to log in with the User's extension number and the password configured in User > Telephony > Supervisor Settings > Login code.

They are indeed IP phones. I'm using the Web Manager, which moves some options around, but in that interface, I assume the setting you refer to map onto the User pane, Extension, and Login Code options. That's what I was trying to login with. When the phone first boots and asks for the information, it won't accept the values configured there. However, it *will* accept that exact same information for my extension (or presumably another user's, although I didn't do a comprehensive test). If I login as me that way and then go to Features > Phone User and get the login prompt again, it will accept the values for the extension in question and log them in. However, then if I log into my regular phone it knocks them off.

The big difference I can see is that the extension specified by my account exists in the system as an H.323 extension, whereas the extension specified by their account exists but is a digital extension on module BD1.

It's worth noting that this phone/login/extension worked without any problems until just today, although it may have simply never been logged out until today. It's possible that it was logged in differently.

UPDATE:

Okay, so in light of thinking about the issue after composing this reply, I switched the digital extension above to an unused number and created a new H.323 extension with the extension number assigned to the user. That seems to be working, and we were able to get both them and me back to logging in as per normal. Why did it work before today? I have no idea, but so long as this works, I'm okay with that.

There's a difference between extns that you dial, and base extns, which is what an IP phone will register to the system with. Sometimes. So where you were stuck with the phone not accepting the credentials, that was it logging into the system to register as a device.

If you log a phone in as an IP extn and that IP extn matches the user extn, it will just log the user in and remain as that extn through reboots etc until the handset is wiped.

If you log an IP phone in to the system as an IP extn that doesn't match a user extn, it will still register to the system, and then offer the login screen.

So what probably happened before was that the phone was logged in as an unknown base IP extn and the user was logging in "over the top" of that with their extn and password. Then the phone got fully wiped and when you tried to log it back in to the system using the user extn and password it didn't like it because the "base" extn you were using was already assigned to a digital port.

If you aren't using hotdesking then matching your base h.323 extns up to the user extns will square away some of those quirks.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back