Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User cannot run Access report

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasisnt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
I have a user with an Access database with 3 reports. One of the reports wont open or do anything when you try to run it. If I log on her computer with a different user it will open fine. If she logs in as herself on a different computer it will open fine.

I recreated her Windows profile and logged in as her and it opened the report once then wouldn't open it again after that. So I recreated her profile again and it opened twice and then stopped after that. Its Access 2003 on XP Pro.

Any idea as to whats going on?

MCSE NT 4.0, MCSA (Server 2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

It is clearly something in the profile or the machine.

Two thoughts jump to mind.

1 The user is changing something and has some impact.

2 The user does something to have malware infect her profile.

There may also be hardware or network connectivity causing corruption of the MDB file. Once it stops working does it work with another user using the same file? If not... Assuming it is a split system, does replacing the front end help? If it is not split, what about a compact and repair?

Once it stops working I can log in as a different user and it will work.

Ive recreated her profile 2 times and it will work for the first or second try and then stop working. Then I can log on with a different user and it works.

How would printers affect a report? I know she has a default printer installed. If it did it on all 3 reports that would be one thing but since it does it only on one of them thats the strange part.

I think Duane is on to something.

Open the offending report in Design view.

On the file menu select Page Setup.

On the Page Tab, make sure default printer is the selected bullet and note the selection for comparison to the other reports.

Access integrates somehow with the printer for report rendering. It could be that the failing report is the only one with the default printer selected. The problem then is the printer the user is changing the default printer to. To fix, specify a working printer on her computer or keep a working printer as the default. The former will be easiest until the next time the Frontend is updated.

lameid has explained this quite well. Any time I read about problems with reports that work on one PC but not another or for one user but not another, I assume it's printer drivers or the default printer.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Genious!

The problem is you cant open it in design view either with this users account. So I opened the database with my user account and checked the printer settings. It was set to use the default printer.

So I installed her printer on my computer since its a network printer and then went into the file and changed the printer setting from default to her network printer.

Then I went over to her computer and had her open the file and it worked!

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back