Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User cannot delete mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2003
GB
User cannont delete mail from their inbox whereas I can if I connect to their inbox from my Outook.

checking the permissions we both have the same permissions on the inbox.

I got the user to log in to a different machine just to prove that it is a server problem rather than a local issue. The same problem occurred.

WE are running Exchange 5.5 with SP4.

REgards

mocharesearch

The error message is:

The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied

Thanks,

Mocharesearch

Are you trying to delete more than one email at a time? Or one with a large attachment? Or several emails at the same time containing attachments?

I've seen this happen with some Exchange anti-virus software because the the anti-virus will scan the email before deleting if it detects that it has not been scanned with the latest virus signature. Computer Associate's InoculateIT, for one, is known to cause this.

Cheers.

No, the deletion is of one message at a time in the inbox. It doesn't matter if the mail has attachments or not.

It would appear to be permissions related as I can delete mail from this guys inbox connecting from my Outlook.

regards,

mocharesearch

I would try to temporarily give the individual the same permissions that you have on the mail server to see if that would resolve it.

No that does not work. I have also found that if you look at deleted items and turn off the preview pane when you click on another folder in the mailbox you get

Outlook cannot correctly save the view...

Also I have noticed there is the following error in the event viewer (which may or may not be connected as the error started after this behaviour)

MSExchangeIS (776) Online defragmentation of database 'E:\exchsrvr\MDBDATA\PRIV.EDB' terminated prematurely after encountering unexpected error -1507.

I am thinking that I might resort to deleting this user's mailbox and recreating it unless anyone has any ideas?

thanks,

mocharesearch

I am having the same issue. I am however on an Exchange 2000 server which has been upgraded some time ago from 5.5.

It seems that the messages that can't be deleted are old messages. anything kept before 1999.. anything newer can be deleted.
I've tried disabling all of my Antivirus stuff, I've taken ownership of the mailbox, I've tried on different computers.

Any ideas?

I suspect that this might have something to do with an old upgrade or service pack installation.

The only time I've seen this is on an Information Store that is becoming corrupt. I "cleaned" the IS by installing Exchange on another server and moving the mailboxes and all other pertinent items (KB Article 152959).
Some of the mailboxes would not move via the Exchange Admin interface. For these I created a .csv file fo DS information, exmerged the mail out to .PST files, and deleted the mailbox on the old Exchange server. After DS replication, I re-created the mailboxes with the .csv file, and exmerged the mail back into the boxes. This re-indexes the whole Information Store.

What I did to solve this problem is move that email to the personal folder then delete it from there. Move one email at a time. I think it got to do with the virus or virsu scanner on the workstation.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back