Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User can not print using HP Printer with Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmurphy

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
The administrator (me) of our domain (NT 4.0 Server) installed a printer (HP 8000 DN)locally (parallel - not shared) to a workstation that has Windows 2000 on it. I, the administrator, can print fine from every type of program, windows, dos, etc. However, the user can not print at all. She has local Administrator Rights and I've looked at the Security and Policies on that computer and printer and can not find anything wrong. Can someoone help me, please?

Try going to the printers properties and then to the advanced tab and make sure "Print directly to the printer" is checked. It'll be slower to print but that should at least work.
Hope that helps!

I tried this and it still didn't print. Any other suggestions?

this might have already been done but it doesn't hurt to ask:

under start -> settings -> control panel -> printers

right click on the printer and under the security tab does the user name "Everyone" or the other specific user you are trying to allow printing from have "Print" Permissions "Allow"?

you probably already done that tho .. but if not perhaps that it it?

Have you tried reinstalling the print driver or using a different print driver from HP'S website? The print drivers for this printer are PCL5, PCL6 or Postscript (I believe?). You mention you are using this via Parallel. Do you have a USB option so you print USB versus Parallel?

I have tried reinstalling using original software - didn't work. Then downloaded drivers from Web - didn't work. What I don't understand is the Administrator can print but users can not. I'm at a loss.

Try this:

(From the users workstation add this user as an adminstrator when logging into the domain)
(1) From the Windows2000 workstation go into Control Panel and then Users and Passwords (I'm using WindowsXP but its the same idea).
(2) Click on "Add". Then enter this persons "username" and the "Domain" you login into
(3) Click "Next" then on the next screen click on "other" and then add this person as an "Administrator".
(4) Now login as this user to the domain (not the local domain but the network domain).

* You can do this temporarily to see if this works. By adding this person as an administrator to the domain just understand you are not giving her Admin access to the domain but admin control over her workstation.

If the user has admin rights on the machine you could try installing printer driver whilst logged on as the user

Did that as well. This is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back