Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User can not login until local admin has logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2008
GB
A similar (ish) problem to thread 931-1584503, but not quite.......

I've got a user who can never login in the morning, until we have logged into the PC as local admin and logged off.

Her account isn't showing as locked out or anything.

We've replaced the machine twice, created the user a whole new AD account (they got married so seemed like a good oportunity).

I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this problem (we even made the user an admin on the machine but still no good).

IF the user locks the workstation overnight, it's fine, it's just if she logs it off /switches it off.

Any pointers as to where to start looking would be good.

Thanks !

Can anyone else logon to that machine without having to logon as local admin? You say she cannot logon, what error is she getting??

Can she logon elsewhere?

based on the answer above its either user related or more likely the port that the machine is connected to is not working properly..you say the machine was rebuilt twice? Did it have the same, can you rebuild it with a different name incase theres some wierd AD computer account problem going on.

let us know what you get then it will be easier to trouble shoot further.

Hi, she's actually had 2 (brand new) totally different machine - with different names each time It doesn't come up with an error message - just says the username and password is wrong. At first we thought it was just her typing it wrong (every day),but when she told us what it was and we typed it, it still won't accept it. We've tried typing the password in the username box - just to make sure that the keyboard wasn't doing anything strange.

I confess to not having changing the port on the switch - we are over working in that cabinet in a couple of days so will try that (just in case).

Also I'm ashamed to say I've never tried logging another user onto that machine. I did however think about it only the other day ! And also asking the user to try logging into another machine first thing (if that doesn't work it's some weird AD thing, not a problem with her machine).

I'll do some investigations and post back :)

ok this is weird...........

It happens where ever the user tries to login. However we discovered it doesn't have to be an admin that logs in. As long as *someone* logs in before the user does, it seems to work.................

Answers on a postcard please ;-)

Ok, is the switch a cisco or similar? Have you tried letting it sit for a few minutes after power on and start-up? Is it running DHCP? If so, try a static IP.

Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media
Telecoms, Networks, Hosting, Alarms, CCTV etc.

Hi no, at the moment it's an 'unmanaged' switch. The above happens regardless of which PC she uses. It's all be strange. At this rate I will be setting her up an account that doesn't so anything, other than let her log in, so that she can log out again, and login with her own account !

Try adding her to machine as a local admin and see if that works. Also check GP and maybe there is a short in the cable in the wall going to the rack.

Interesting one, so "anyone" who logs on the machine before her helps her logon to the machine, right?

Are they in the same AD groups as her?

Can you ping her machine before she tries to login? Change her password to something you know and you try loging on, her username is simple enough right? Or copy her account and try again.

As someone mentioned, it could be a bizarre GPO thats preventing her from logging on. Could it be when she tries to logon she is choosing the workstation by accident rather than the domain, is it XP or Vista or Win 7 your using? Its prob something totally random and funny a few days time!!

let us know, by us I mean me cos im sad!

We are seeing something very similar. What events are showing up on the workstation and DC? We are getting pre-authentication kerberos errors. Unfortunately its happening to more than one user, at a remote site I might add. Did you guys come up with a resolution?

Alas I haven't yet found the answer. Aside from the user putting a postit note on her monitor reminding her to 'lock workstation, DON't logoff'.

I have this same problem! (nice to know i'm in good company).

User can't ever logon in the morning, i go and login as admin, and log off and then she can login just fine.
I checked the security event log and i get a ton of Event ID 529 (Failure Audit) and Event ID 538 (Failure Audit).

Any fix for this?

User is local admin, Xp Box on SBS 2003 Domain. Created a new AD account and it still happens. No idea why.

Thanks for any clues or help.
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back