Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user can access his own My Document folder on any workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

adcounsel1

Programmer
Jan 27, 2005
PK
Dear All

In our company, we have run active directory on Windows 2003 Sever and there are about 26 workstation, all of them are working on Windows Pro 2000.

We require that any user can work on any pc/workstation with his own user login. But when he open My documents he will see his own my document folder/files on any workstation if he login.

Please expedite.

Thanks

Hashim

Hi Hashim, this is called folder redirection and is cool because you can use offline folders feature for laptop users to sync the files whenever they logon.
It gets set through a GPO under user config>windows>folder redirection.
check out microsoft under folder redirection.

Dear Elmurado

I have done this through MMC, on server all users' my documents are redirected to a specified folder. But I am facing another problem when a new user login on a workstation, his my document defaults locations is c:\Documents and Settings\........ I have to personally change the my document location for every user.

How Can I overcome this problem.

Thanks

Hashim

Have you added the new users to the group policy that you edited to redirect the folder?
I use Folder redirection in a school (500 users) and the only time I have a problem is if I forget to add the user to the group policy for that particular group.

Only the good die young, me I'm here forever :)

You have a fileserver?

Create a directory for every person and share it (allowing only admin and the person it's for access)

Then open Active Directory -> Users -> Username -> Properties -> Profile -> Home Folder

Set the drive (ours are P:\ for Personal) and then point it to their share. We do this for about 250 Employees. Works great.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back