Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User being able to access restricted folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2003
US
Hello all,

I have an issue here. I have a single user with admin priv. who is able to access a folder that is set up to be viewd by only 3 people. The user who is able to access the restricted folder is running 2000 pro. The share is on a 2000 server box. The hard drive is formatted with NTFS and has NTFS permissions only allowing the 3 specific user. I had tried taking away all admin rights to the single user that is getting into the folder but that doesn't help. Any ideas or advise will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info please let me know. Thanks in advance.

remove the admin priv from the single user

Jason

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

I already removed the admin. priv. and that user can still access the restricted folder.

The other thing you can do (not recommended) is you can explicitly deny the user. On the specified folder on the server:

right click properties
then security tab
add the user
when that user is highlighted
Click on full control deny
when it asks you to apply this to all the folders say yes

Jason

Just a question this 2000 file server does it belong to a domain?

Jason

We have no domains set up. All users are mapped to the drive where the folder is located and within that mapped folder there are folders for each user and the restricted folder im just allowing 3 certain users to access.

There are 2 ways try this:

The other thing you can do (not recommended) is you can explicitly deny the user. On the specified folder on the server:

right click properties
then security tab
add the user
when that user is highlighted
Click on full control deny
when it asks you to apply this to all the folders say yes

or

Move the folder share it. map the folder to the users PCs that you want to have access to.

Jason

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Yeah that is what I ended up doing thank you for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back