Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyrenthian

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
US
Hi All,
I dont think this is possible but maybe someone here knows differently. I need to validate a username and password (which will be the same as the users username and password) from a workstation. I would like to do it all on the client and not the server. However, what I am reading, it looks like I will need to open a socket on the server and talk to it from the client. Basically, we have a "generic" logon but we want to know which user is really at the computer when they access our application(s). They will be presented with a Logon dialog to enter a username password and domain. With that information, I first attemepted to use "LogonUser" but I dont want the "generic" logon to have the permissions required to use that. Second, I attempted using the security/secur32 dlls but those seem to need to run on a server for certain operations. Are there any other aproaches to validate a windows username and password?

Matt

I’m confused about a couple things.

(A) It sounds like the user is already logged in to Windows to run your app so why do you need to do it again?

(B) You are not a novice Tek-Tips member so why do you think cross-posting this question will help?

-pete

LOL... I cross posted it because I got a COB deadline of today. Just wanted to make sure it got noticed :). As for (A), the user is loged in but it is a generic login. I now need to log user information for the specific user without logging the generic user off. Please keep in mind that I did not put this design in place, I just need to find a way to make it work. Here is the complete rundown

lets say the generic logon is
User Name:generic
Password: generic

It used to be that we did not care who was logged in and we just ran our apps. The problem came up because we need to be HIPAA compliant so we now need to log what user looked at which patients medical information. It was decided to take the approach of "Authenticating" users rather then logging them off and forcing a logon for each specific user. This was the original idea and all we were going to do was just use the nt screen saver. Some doctors, however, think it takes too long to log back on.

UPDATE: My boss came in durring my post. We may be on the right track now. Still going down the path of the SockAuth sample BUT I am open to any other ideas.

Matt

Any password validations must be done on the server. Passwords are stored in encripted form(usualy using algorythm MD5 what does not give any ways to uncript passwords). Any passwords given by client are encripted and compared with encripted ones. Clients only gives some interface to enter password.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

AIM: IonFilipski
filipski@excite.com

I may be new at programming but at my highschool a few years ago, they had the application have some sort of way that when you started it up a login screen would appear when you typed in your user name and password it wouldnt log you off of windows but somehow you would be logged on windows with a different user name. Check out Pathways, a division of Pitsco, their doing something like this but I have no idea how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back