Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigi

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
US
When I create or copy a new user, the user object is not picking up the required Exchange attributes. When I use ADSI edit to review the attributes, the following are causing me problems.

showInAddressBook
msExchHideFromAddressLists

My question is how do I modify the default values for these two attributes in my Active Directory so when a new user is created, the values exist?

I am currently running Windows 2000 SP4 with Exchange 2003.

Please advise.

Thanks!

What is the problem that you're having?

The first attribute, showInAddressBook, is typically populated by the RUS, whenever it decides to cycle.

The second attribute should default to <not set>. Since you're running 2000 ADSIEdit you should make sure that all attributes are shown.

It is not unusual for 30-45 minutes to pass before the changes made by the RUS propagate to other domain controllers.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

win2k adsiedit.msc, you need to check show all attribute box to show those "no set" attributes.

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

The problem I am having is that when I create a new user, it takes about 24 hours for that item to appear in the GAL. But in the past week or so, the user never appears in the GAL until you manually update those two attributes.

The RUS is set to "Always Run". But being that I am creating the user and mailbox for the user at the same time on the Exchange Server which isn't a Domain Controller, maybe that has something to do with it?

I am using the ADSIedit.msc from the Windows 2003 server cd. Due to the fact that I had to run ADprep and Domain Prep for Exchange 2003, the schema should have been updated at that point?

There are three options within the adsiedit.msc utility...
- Show Mandatory Attributes (This is checked)
- Show Optional Attributes (This is checked)
- Show only attributes that have values (Unchecked)

Is there something else I should check off, or am I not looking in the right place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back