Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeaty

Technical User
Sep 11, 2000
US
When I log in locally to my laptop running Windows 2000 Professional, I am able to access my email and a few other network resources, but not all. When I log into my NT4 Domain on the same laptop, I am able to access all of the network resources, but Windows isn't saving my profile. I have to set up my email and other applications everytime I log on. Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks.

The reason your not able to get into the Network resources is because you log on localLy KEY WORD LOCALLY. The other computers on the network can not authenticate you.

On the reason it's not saving you profile mite be couple of reasons. If you have roaming profiles turned on, W2K has problem saving the stuff to NT4.0 server, or yor credentials from the NT4.0 Domain are not allowing you to save your profile to your local machine.

check your local policies on the Laptop and insure that the Network version of you is able access that stuff.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help. I checked all of these possibilities and am still getting the same results. Is it possible that my ntuser.dat file is corrupt?

possible but unlikely

I still think it's in security somewhere, start checking the NTFS permissions on the WINNT directory.

IF the system is running Fat32 then it's not File system.

Go into local system User account and add the MYdomain\jbeaty to the Administrator account, and retest. If it fails then I have no idea. My only guess would be then to delete MYdomain\jbeaty profile then relog in to recreate the account. If it works then something was corrupted somewhere.

I have seen where upgrades from Win9X or WinNT4.0 did this. the only way i got it fixed was to Format and reinstall the OS. then it went away.

I'll check the Knowledge base and see what i can find when i get to work tommorrow I'm sitting on a dialup and hate searching the web from home on 56k modem that connects at only 24k (phone lines are bad)

I understand that. I searched the knowledge base and didn't really find anything that helped much. I checked everywhere you suggested and it all looks ok. I even had a couple of my co-workers double check me to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. I logged into my machine locally as the admin. and removed my user account and deleted my profile from Doc. and Settings. I logged back in and it seemed to be ok, but instead of creating a jnbeaty profile folder, it created a default user folder. This I suppose will work as a temporary fix, but I'm very curious as to what is going on. Please let me know if you find anything out........Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back