Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used RS/6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulywog

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2001
US
Does anyone know if there is a market for used RS/6000 boxes? Any distributors? I'm looking to buy one to be able to setup a test environment. Our software vendor always wants to try things live and we'd really like a test box, but don't want to pay new prices.

Thanks.

Try ebay or IBM's web site for refurbished models.

Hello
As used market exists for RS/6000 equipment.
I deal with in Calif. Ask for mike.
He has always come up with good deals and clean equipment.
He can get most anything

If we decide on this new disposal vendor we are looking at, we are probably going to be unloading a dozen 7026-H50 to them due to our expected move to 64-bit, and right now we are turning our uchannel boxen in to IBM for credit (R50, J50, 530, etc). I'll let you know if we decide something, but if you need one in the next six months, try Ebay. IBM charges $3600 for a 18.2GB hard disk, so I really can't advise buying anything from them.

The market is out there, and prices vary substantially. I purchased a 5013-590 (a very substantial box in it's day) for $275 plus shipping on eBay recently. Has been very reliable and came with 256Mb, 12Gb, Graphics card, 5Gb 8mm. Caomparables on Ebay have shown up at between 500 ad $1200. On the other hand, I have a couple of 7012-340s in great shape that I would be willing to unload at $150 a piece, plus shipping. Let me know at info@geoconcepts.com.

John

We recently purchased a used F80 from a company called Nowcomp.com. We normally get an educational discount through IBM, but the price that Nowcomp gave us was better than what we could do with our discount through IBM. It was a pretty heavily configured machine...we got it for about $35,000 and the IBM list price was about $75,000. Good Luck...YAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back