Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used gear - covered under maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2telguy

Technical User
Apr 5, 2006
US
Before I ask my Avaya rep this- and I'm assuming he'll poo poo this- I wanted to get the real scoop from this forum.

If I buy used G3 cards that are not "official" Avaya refurbs, will Avaya add and cover them under maintenance?

Crockett

If you pay to have them covered they will cover them. I have added cards from "other sources" and placed them on my maint contract without problem.

You are correct. Avaya will not cover them. You may find a BP who has the means to provide coverage but Avaya will not certify them.

What they don't know wont hurt them. They charge per port these days and are supposed to reevaluate yearly to increase or decrease covered ports as needed. They have no way of knowing where equipment came from as it all originated from Avaya at one point or another.

Side note - we had to specifically stop buying from avaya direct because of their screwyness with maint. they would do a port count, charge us for say 2000 ports regardless of what was under warrenty or not (don't blame them, again, how would/could they know). 2 months later 1 year warrenty expired on say 10 - TN2224Cp's, and our maintenance goes up by 240 ports even though we are still at 2000!!!! Since we buy stuff all the time, it would be a monthly battle usually taking close to a year to resolve each issue. We dont buy Avaya maintenance any more.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back