Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used CICS 4.2 no installer password

Status
Not open for further replies.

DScot

Technical User
Apr 14, 2007
US
Looking for help: A new customer of mine was given a system by a customer of their's. They asked me to install it, no problem. HOWEVER, the installer's password was changed, I was able to get in via system coordinator but that limits the programming on the CICS that I can do of course. So, I tried to do a System Startup right after a reboot. The default installer passowrd doesn't work on this either - Now I'm dumbfounded. I didn't think the installers password (config) could be changed for system start-up.

What can I do, don't really need the existing programming, just want to be able to access line programming, change dn's etc....

Any idea's or back door tricks? I simply want to restart the system and start fresh. I tried taking out the sw card when power was off, run for 10 minutes, powered off and then stuck the card back in and nothing happened, came up as normal.

Help.....

The best way is to use a fastrad & recover the config password, otherwise go to the FAQ's and look up a brilliant document on DEBUG. By going into this section, which you can do by changing the date to an earlier known debug code.

After that, you can find within HEX the installer password in numbers. If you get stuck, then let me know.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Useful Nortel forum at
If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Firebirdscrambler-

Not sure what you mean about using the fastrad or what you mean about the FAQ's.

I can convert HEX Code but that's all I gathered from your help.

If I installed a FastRad, what would that do for me? And or what is the date youu'd have me change the system to and then what?

I can be reached at dscot@expandcommunications.net if it's something that should not be shared with the general public. Thanks MUCH!

Hello DScott

You shouldn't enter in your email address on the Tek-Tips forum. Spammers can use your address.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Useful Nortel forum at

If you have a lower level of s/w, power down, put the lower level in and popwer up, the system should default.
Example: if your s/w level is 7.1 install a 6.1 and power up. Good luck...

silver's suggestion is the easiest if you don't care about saving old programming, and usually even if you do. It's far easier to reprogram a cics than to try and recover that password.

Thanks Everyone....

I actually used the DEBUG procedure listed in the FAQ's and it worked great. Didn't have older SW card than that of the 4.2 I was installing. Firebirdscrambler helped me out with the daily password needed to get this done.

You can also default the whole system this way....power it down and take it apart. On the main board there is a capacitor that keeps the memory alive when the power is off. It about the diameter of a quater and about 1/4 inch high. Short the capacitor for about 30 seconds and it will drain the stored energy and the machine will lose it's stored memory. Put it back together, power it up and you will have a cold start.

I keep seeing the magic fix of shorting the cap being refered to. this should only be used as a last resort since it will cause some level of damage to that capacitor, they are not set up to be just shorted. use a 10K 1/2 watt carbon resistor (or just about any resistance) to cause the cap to bleed its current off slowly.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Jerry, you're right.
I haven't been replying on here much anymore. Think I got tired of telling everyone to quit shorting the super caps.
Then they wonder why their systems lose programming in a few months or a RAD won't keep its password.

MarvO said it

Thats fair comment guys, but it only takes a few minutes via the DEBUG method to obtain the passwords & still retain the system programming.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Useful Nortel forum at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back