Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used ASA devices on Ebay: Are they ready-to-run? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnnights

Technical User
May 28, 2011
US
I'd like to get my hands on a used ASA for my home test network - just to play with it and see how it runs. I see ASA 5505 units on Ebay and wonder whether they'd actually be ready-to-run, so far as the OS and licensing?
This post shows my ignorance regarding how these things actually work and why I don't feel comfortable just buying one. I see some sellers say, "wiped" and other such things and wonder if that means that there is no installed license key and the thing won't work at all unless I buy a Cisco license for it? Or does that tend to mean that configurations are wiped, but a license key is probably there and it will run, based on whatever license was purchased along with the unit?
What should I know about purchasing a used ASA from Ebay?

Thanks,
Saturnnights

normally a basic licenece which comes with the asa will do all and more for your home network. out of the box it supports 30 devices and VPN

I recommend taking out a £70 support agreement with Cisco as this will give you access to the latest firmwares etc and lots of help and documentation.

also, the ASA is a point ant click device now, but I strongly recomment learning basic cli commands, like being able to factory the device, as the reset button on the back of the unit is just for looks... (go figure)

best method of schooling. Make it, Breakit, Fix it, Break it again, Fix it again. so dont though out your existing router just yet!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I'll start watching Ebay now for ASA deals!

got my used ASA yesterday from an Ebay auction. It came with 128 MB Flash, and 256 MB Ram, with ASA IOS 8.0 installed. Good to run up to firmware 8.2.

Now the Question whats the Maximum I can upgrade?
I have replaced the Flash with a 4GB and now the ASA is telling me 0MB flash installed but a dir command onto the Flash shows 4.0 of 4.1 GB free, Cosmetic but whats the max Flash Size that all is working.

The other is the Memory, official is 1GB the max but the big ASA5580 is doing up to 12GB ram with the Same image. Would a 2GB PC-3200 CL3,3,3 184Pin standard PC Dimm work?

why do you want to give this so much resource when you are running it as a test unit at home?

Also, I made a mistake, the BASE licence only supports up to 10 internal devices... sorry...

licences are like - ASAxxxx-K9-BUN, -50-K9-BUN, -UN-K9-BUN

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back