Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use wireless phone to access email

Status
Not open for further replies.

lan123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I need some help with how to setup the secure protections for pop3 and smtp server. Our exchange server is behind a firewall now. For people who need to access email remotely they have to use our VPN client. Now we want to give people the ability to access their email through cell phone. So we need to open the pop3 and smtp to outside access.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lan

Ok, but what is the question?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thank you for the reply.
Our exchange server is behind a firewall now. For people who need to access email remotely they have to use our VPN client. Now people in our company want to access their email through the cell phone. What should I do to achieve it?
Hope this is clear enough.

Thank you.
Lan

You say they have to use your VPN client? Will your VPN client really work on a cell phone (I really doubt it)? If these cell phones really use POP3 just open that port on your firewall (110). There is no need to a VPN client if you are using POP3. Otherwise checkout Blackberry and the cellular devices that work it.

MikeL

Thank you all for the reply. I really appreciate your help.

I think that I did not make it clear in my last post.

Our VPN client can not be insatlled on any kind cell phone that's for sure. What I am really worry is the security issues here. Is that safe if I open pop3 and smtp ports to outside access without any protection (except firewall)? Should I use something like SSL?

Excuse my poor English please.

Thank you.
Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back