Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Win2000 Server as Internet Gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodowntime

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
I want to install Windows 2000 Server as an Internet gateway. I want to use the Routing and Remote Access service to do the required NAT. I do not want to add this machine to my domain, so during W2K setup I select the option that says the machine is on a network without a domain, so it'll basically be a stand-alone server.

In Services, when setup is complete, the Routing and Remote Access service is Disabled, so I simply set it to Automatic, and start it.

I go into Routing and Remote Access, and then try to right-click on my server to select the Configure... option, but it's grayed out. When I try to go to its Properties it tells me I don't have permissions.

I thought this should be a pretty simple thing to do. Does any one have any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Anything in event logs? Any error messages? (FYI, start with VBROCKS suggestion first. Make sure you are logged on as admin and not a guest or user.)

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yep, definitely logged on as Administrator.

I was doing some reading and it seems as though you have to install Active Directory in order for the Routing and Remote Access thing to work.

I've tried installing Active Directory. AD really, really, really wants to talk to a DNS server. It didn't like my ISP's DNS, and I've tried installing my own DNS service.

Each time, at startup, it hangs at the "Preparing network connections...", and there it'll sit until I turn it off and start over.

Thanks fellas for replying to my post. I've discovered my bumble.

I discovered that all I had to do was leave File and Printer Sharing enabled in the Network Connection.

This is apparently what puts the Server service into the Services, and then Routing and Remote Access works just like I expected it to.

No Active Directory necessary. No DNS necessary. Just File and Printer Sharing enabled.

Have a nice day.

Star for you, I'm just wondering why it was disabled in the first place:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back