Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use table from other DB in query

Status
Not open for further replies.

norty303

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
GB
Hi, I know this is possible, but I've never had to do it before or come across it so I'm not sure of the correct terminology for it.

We have 2 databases, Live and Query, which are identical, although Query is a full backup of Live every night so 1 day behind.

All of our 'extra' ref tables and development stuff goes on in Query.

I'm developing a report in Live (so its real time accurate), but I need to reference a lookup table in Query.

What function/keyword/syntax allows you to select this (I'm assuming you'd have to embed the database login as well)

This will eventually end up in a Business Objects Universe so it may be that it will need to be built as a view in Live so it can be incorporated. I'm not sure yet how BO handles referencing another DB from within a connection.

Many thanks for any help you can provide, our Oracle guru is not in today and I've kinda stalled...... :)

Thanks, I've just found the database links in our complete reference guide!

Its always difficult when you know what you need to do but don't know the name of it!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back