Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Scheduled Task to automatically start PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMal

Programmer
Aug 19, 2004
IE
HI.

I have added a task to shutdown my pc at different times using the "shutdown.exe -s" in the schuduled task utility which works fine.

I want to also include a task that automatically starts the PC at a certain time every day. Is there a different format of the "Shutdown.exe -s" command which I can use to achieve this.

It can be done but only if you have a WOL (Wake on LAN) compliant network card. The following link will allow you to download a utility that can send a 'magic' packet to initiate the WOL power on feature. It can be scheduled to run from another PC on the network.

However, if you don't have another PC, it's highly unlikely that you can power up the PC at a certain time automatically - unless you have something in your BIOS that you can schedule.

Regards,

Is is possible to set power options to startup the PC automatically when power is supplier to the PC.

My problem arises from using a projector as the monitor for my pc. The problem with projectors is you cannot cut the power. When the projector has no signage for 5 mins (Pc is switched OFF using the shutdown task) it automatically goes into power-down mode.

My problem is I need some way of restarting the PC automatically when the projector is going to run again.

The projector will be run 4 times every day at different intervals but cannot be on all day????

Any suggestions

1.) there is not script that will help you there, because for the script to work, the OS needs to be running... this is not possible, when the PC is powered DOWN...

2.) there is a setting in the BIOS which allows for Automatic start at a certain time... though this is a once a day shot...

3.) the only option for turning on the PC 4X a day would be using another PC, as mentioned above through WOL (wake on LAN)...

4.) there may be other options that I am not aware off at this time, that someone else here on the FORUM may be able to tell you...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for all the advice.

Just thinging out of the box, is it possible to Hibernate or "Put on Stand By" the PC and when required bring it back on line?

Cheer's

Jon

I must be mis-understanding the problem. I have used my PC as an alarm clock for years. I simply use the scheduled tasks to
turn it on every morning at 6AM. I also always use hibernate so obviously that works. If you look at the task settings you will see various ways of starting, continuing and stopping tasks.

Hi,'Hibernate' is not shutdown, it is just sleeping ( like the infamous Monty Python Parrot wasn't)..so scripts can run just fine..JMal wanted to have something run when the PC was Off....

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Ok people, have fun. All I know is I can shutdown, hibernate, whatever, my PC at any time of the day, and have it turn on for any amount of time and then shut down again, whatever amount of times per day from scheduled tasks.

Any and all of this is BIOS dependent. There is no provision in the OS for "modern" machines to start from scheduled tasks. There is allowance for WOL as 'outonalimb' mentioned earlier in ACPI compliant BIOS. But this is a BIOS and not OS dependent feature.

There as well is a provision, semi-often, in modern BIOSs to allow other events to wake a shut-down machine, including Event 47-types, typically USB devices.

As someone who leaves five machines on 24/7, I suggest this as an alternative. You can use Power Options through Control Panel to minimize hardware stress and power usage.

Hi all.

I cannot leave the PC on 24/7 as the only way to automatically get the projector to power itself down (cannot cut the power or it will damage the €500 lamp) is to cut the signal from the PC. I have set the projector to automatically power down after loss of signal for 3mins.

This works fine with the shutdown.exe task.

My problem is I need to restart the PC before the Projector restarts again or I will be left with a blank screen.

I dont mind if the PC is shutdown, hibernated, or put on StandBy as long as this results in a loss of Monitor signal to start the projector into powerdown mode automatically. The projector cannot be run 24/7. On about 8-10 hrs per day max.

GX3, can you explain how you use your PC as a alarm clock to turn on every morning with scheduled tasks?

This is what my origional question was.

Thinking from a different angle, is it possible to have a timed switch on the link from the PC to the projector. So the projector thinks the PC is turned off? It may be a matter of someone electrical looking a the singnals required and having a suitable switch/timer to turn off the signal.

Just a thought. May be worth looking in RS/Lindy etc.

I have concidered using a powered distribution amp and use this to cut the signal.

I need to try this out. Was hoping the startup option me prevent this type of setup. More expence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back