Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Registration to Indicate Trim Size? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElijahBaley

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2001
GB

Hello

Im pretty new to DTP so I wonder if anyone can help me. I need to create a half page ad, the only dimensions I have been given are:

Trim area: 125mm x 185mm

As I am going to be using quite a bit of colour I want to add a 'bleed' area of 3mm on every edge.

This is what I have done so far; I have created a Quark document of 131mm x 191mm (to include the 6mm bleed) and set the margins at 3mm, hopefully this allows me to visually see the trim area as I am working on the doc (is this what you do?) Now comes my problem, when I output to PDF i turn on 'registration' but the registration indicators are set about 6mm outside of the bleed area.

How can I set it so that the registration marks clearly indicate where the printed image should be cut?

Thanks for your help

Hey,

You almost got it. What you have to do is make your page size in quark to your final output, don’t add your bleed to your page size. Resize your page to 125mm x 185mm. Then when working make your colour run right off the page onto the pasteboard (Empty space outside of your page layout). When making your postscript/PDF or when printing, in your settings for printing or the output settings for your PS/PDF turn on Registration. Then you need to set how much bleed you would like to show under the Bleed settings. This will make your crop marks at your page size, and then bleed your page past them as far as you specify.

Hope that helps / Makes sense,
Cheers

You need to make your page size the exact dimensions of the finished ad. Take your picture/text boxes 3mm outside of the page area where needed - forget about the margins. Then, when you convert to pdf, providing you have used the right settings (it sounds like you have), you should have what you need.

Excellent!! - thanks for your help, I knew there was something I was not doing right.

Cheers! [elephant2]

..EB

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

"Captain A.J. Rimmer, Space Adventurer!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back