Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use only mdac 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimgarry

MIS
May 16, 2000
Hi, thanks in advance. How can I be sure that what I am writting will only use mdac 2.8 Im writting an vb6 program that uses access database. I will use an ado connection to connect to the data. Im not sure how I can tell if I am only using what comes with mdac 2.8 this is what the system the program will be using. I seem to have every verson on my system. is there a simple way to remove all the other versions off my system for a test. sorry for rambling. thanks for the advice in advance
Jim

No need to remove the other versions from your machine -- your code will use whatever version you set in your references.

BTW, using 2.8 means that all your users will have to have 2.8. You can give it to them via an install script (InstallShield, Wise, or the nasty P&DW that comes with VB), or just give them a URL and tell them to install it as a prerequisite.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Chip, thanks, thats what I did. The client had placed a phone system through the computer that required mdac 2.7 or higher. My program was using 2.5 I upgraded my program to 2.8 and the client also upgraded to 2.8 and all is working fine now.

When I attepted to place other versions of mdac on the computer it would not allow it to go on. I guess this was becase of the phone system.

Thanks for your post
Jim Garry

The issue of COM is that you can have multiple versions on a machine. When you put a newer version on it should check if there is a new version already on the machine and not install if there is. The lastest version should always be backward compatible as the interfaces should be immutible (spelling).

When you do something like
DIM rs As ADODB.RecordSet

it will use early binding by the reference you setup.
If needed it will use the version independant progid to object and get the latest version GUID for that prog ID

Hope I've been helpful,
Wayne Francis

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back