Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use old and new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

fule12

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
YU
hi all I need some advice and help.

On NT domain machine I have third part E-mail server, now my boss decide to move to exchange 2003 , I can not migrate from NT domain to win 2003 domain because mail server company what to charge us for reinstalling mail server and because we decide to move to exchange is no point to pay for update of e-mail system what we will stop using.
My question is : it is possible to have Domain’A’ – NT and Domain ‘B’ – win 2003, create AD on domain ‘B’ copy user profiles from NT to win 2003, or recreate users profiles for new domain but to be able to access Domain’A’ for e-mails until we not move to exchange 2003 .

Thanks

Fule

it is possible to migrate accounts from old to new domain, and have both still in use.

You'd have to actually go through with this part of the migration, then test to see if a 'test' migrated user can access the mail server on the old domain.

you might be able to join the mail server to the new domain too... again you'd have to test this out

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Hi Aftertaf , thanks for your quick perly.
Please if you or someone give me some more details about this,
Do I need to create New domain ('b') what will be win2003 , and copy all users from nt domain ('A')and than downgrade NT domain to plain NT server ?

thanks

Fule

id setup new domain, then setup trusts and use ADMT to migrate users / PCs over to new domain.

if you have a spare machine, try installing a new mail server in new domain, see if it works first...

then you'd remove your mail server from the nt domain and make it amember of the new domain...
i wouldn't touch the Nt domain until certain all is working fine.

do you have a LOT of users in your domain???

sth like this needs planning carefully in any case

Aftertaf

I have 65 users (nt workstation, win2000 and xp machines).
Problem with e-mails server is that he has dongle on com port, so can't install on another pc ,and company from what we purchase e-mail system will charge us for reinstalling e-mail system.
Will work if i create plain new domain win2003 , create users profiles and be able to connect to old NT Domain ?

My network look at moment like this :
- NT Domain (e-mail system and wins )
- Win 2000 server(stand alone no AD) host dns and users files.

- New network idea
- NT Domain - domain A
- Win 2003 - new domain B
- create new users profiles on domain B
- users from domain B to be able to access to domain A

Thanks

Fule

with ADMT, you shouldn't have to recreate users & profiles.

as for the mail server, ask their tech suport if their server can simply be on a member server in an AD environment.
I should think it can!!

Aftertaf

yes for e-mail system in no problem can run on member server.
for use ADMT tool win 2003 mast be in native mode .
how to copy users & profiles to new domain 2003 and have NT domain and 2003 domain running ( is this posible ?)

thanks

Fule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back