Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of star (asterisk) key for get digits function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterfaceDoc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2005
US
Does anyone know a way to utilize the star (asterisk) key as a valid menu selection?

For example, if you wanted to build a vector that would present a menu where the valid options were 1, 2, 0, and *, how can you get the * key to act the same as any other digit?

The default handling of an asterisk key during a "get digits" function appears to be "clear or erase the digits that I have just entered."

If the asterisk key could be used like any other digit, the menu would look like the example below:

1 wait-time 0 secs hearing ringback
2 announcement 12345
3 collect 1 digits after announcement 12345
4 route-to number 22222 with cov n if digit = 1
5 route-to number 33333 with cov n if digit = 2
6 route-to number 44444 with cov n if digit = 0
7 route-to number 55555 with cov n if digit = *

Is there a workaround for this limitation?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, but that's all it does.

If you press 'help' when you are building a vector, you will see that the choices do not include *.

If you really need 12 options, it seems that a submenu would be a good workaround.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

Thanks for the tip, but need for the star key is not related to getting more options in a single menu.

In any IVR menu, the star key is supposed to mean "take me backwards to the previous menu." For example, if you have a menu that says "...to return to the previous menu, press X" X is supposed to be the star (asterisk) key.

This is the world standard for telephone user interface applications (ISO 1374 and others).

It seems like there should be a way to at least "trick" the Collect Digits function into responding to a * key as if it were a valid option.

Any ideas or work arounds would be much appreciated.

To use * or # you would need something like a Conversant I believe, where the processing is done on that box and not on the Definity.

in the s8700 if you do a disp sys spec you will see SA7852 which adds this feature you will need to work with avaya or your bp to add this.

José

Please let me know if this was helpful

Thank you Jolagues! I will check this out and let you know if we can make this work. Great tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back