Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of Messages in panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthiljith

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
IN
Hi all
i am trying to work with messages in panels, but i don't know the steps to proceed, can any one help

1. if you are not friend with ispf-messages, forget. its a litte bit complecate to explain here.

2. there are several mesage-identifiers you can use without to devine them:

)PROC
if (ver(&NAME,NB)) /* name has to be filled
else
&ZEDSMSG = 'Name empty'
&ZEDLMSG = 'Please enter a name (must be)'
.MSG = ISRZ000

then tree IDs (ISRZ000, ISRZ001, ISRZ002) are defined for Edit and Edit-Macros. look into the Edit&Edit-Macro Manual to read about messagetype and so on...

Heinz

Try to find out if you have bookmgr available there. You can usually get to it by executing a clist "bookmgr". Then try to find ISPF manuals.

For a short explanation, ISPF messages are generally stored in a message pds and usually end with ISPMLIB (Mlib = message lib). If you do the command, "tso lista stat" you should be able to see what message libraries are concatenated in when you logon to tso and you should be able to browse them.

I'm not at work now and can't recall the specifics but it's really pretty simple to do if you just copy one that already exists.

You don't necessarily have to put your messages in a message library to have them come out on the screen. You can hard-code them in the panel. If you opt to use the message library and create your own, remember that you MUST concatenate it into your tso logon or your messages will not be found.

HTH!

It took me forever to find this question again!

I just tripped across a site that has a bunch of PDF files that you might find helpful. One of them is about message libraries specifically.

I did a search in google and then looked for everything on their site. Here's a link and I hope it works.

HTH!

hi, If U r tring to display your own messages from the panel then make sure that those messages exist in the a PDS and the PDS is concatinated to ISPMLIB. Then U call display these messages with the messages ID in the panel by coiding it in the )PROC of the panel

If U have any further questions let me know.

Thank You

I don't use ISPMLIB for messages anymore. There's an easier way:
Code:
if rc = 0 then do
   zerrsm = "Copy Completed"
   zerrlm = "Copy OK from DSN("fromdsn")",
                      "to DSN("todsn")."
   "SETMSG MSG(ISRZ002)"
   end
[\code]
The same technique is available in CLIST and in the )PROC section of panels although the syntax is slightly different.  You will also have to set zerrhm and zerralrm.

What I meant was that if you use a SETMSG then you need to display your pannel by using DISPLAY PANEL else the MSG wount be displayed properly on the panel you want to.

Thanks
Rajesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back