Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of <End+arrow>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
On DOS Lotus 123 (specifically Rel 2.2) a user could give a copy command "/c" followed by {end +arrow}. This would fill or anchor and allow a user to identify a range of cells to be copied elsewhere on the worksheet.

I cannot figure out how to emulate that same command on 123 Windows Millenium Edition.

Can anyone help?

Would you please allow me to clarify.

The "Millennium Edition" of Ltus 123 is Release 9.

I realize that the "classic / (backslash)" commands are available in that Version, but someone told me that use of the "classic" commands would "corrupt" the worksheet for other Windows features.

I can best describe my "expertise" level with DOS at "intermediate" (I've written Macros), but with Windows, only "beginner".

So, help would be appreciated.

Hi GB,

Because no one has yet to respond, I feel I should "start the ball rolling"...

I didn't respond earlier because I don't have the version of Lotus you're referring to - Release 9.

I, like SO MANY others, have stuck with Release 5. My understanding is that in many others cases, others have actually "reverted back" to Release 5. I won't go into the reasoning here because it would be too long a response, and if you look, you can probably find an earlier posting of mine related to this same subject.

Back to your question... Specifically, I don't know the answer in "LotusScript" (which is the "terrible mistake" made by Lotus/IBM).

I can provide the answer in the language used in Release 5. I'm not certain, but I think the later versions of Lotus do maintain compatibility with this programming code. By the way, it doesn't have a name - first "blunder" by Lotus Corp. I've opted to call it "SNAP" - for Super Natural Application Programming.

Finally, the answer (in SNAP code) is...

{END}{RIGHT}, {END}{LEFT}, {END}{UP}, {END}{DOWN}

The above, however, will NOT "anchor" as per your description of what you need.

I don't have Lotus 123 at work, so I can't double-check, but I'm fairly sure that the following is what will work to "anchor" and select a range...

{SELECT-RANGE-RELATIVE columns,rows}

where you replace columns and rows with numbers.

I believe there's also a third option (argument) that allows for the selection to extend across worksheets. It would come after "rows".

I hope this helps. :)

It'll be interesting to see if anyone out there will provide the code in LotusScript, and to see how it compares.

I hope this helps. :) Please advise as to how you make out.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Although I found the answer myself, Mr. Watson provided the key.

Apparently, since my DOS Rel 2.2, the word "copy" has become "select". Armed with that knowledge, I then searched help starting with "select" and found some cryptic regarding "Select Range".

At the top of the range you desire, press F4. This will open the range selector box and "anchor" the range.

Use whatever keyboard strokes you wish such as "Page Down" Arrows, or End+Arrows.

When your range has been selected, click (checkmark) on the range selector box.

Proceed with Copy/Cut and Paste commands.

OUCH, no wonder this product has been "wiped away" by Excel.

I can not speak for Lotus 9, as I am content with 123r5.

Both answeres above appear to work, however it also appears that the keystrokes are not recoreded correctly if you are
making a macro.

Both F4 and {shift} will anchor the cell. and then {end} left, right, up & down arrows with select the range.

If you are writing a macro you have to actually enter the command "{anchor}" and "{end}" followed by {L},{R},{U} or {D}.

Macro wud be {anchor}{end}{d}{end}{r}

You may also modify the {d} entry to reflect a given numbers of rows you want. e.g. {d 5} wud includ the five rows below the anchor point.

Dale is very correct that SNAP is much easier than the so called Lotus Script.............

Hope that this is some help.

J. Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back