Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of Group in Outlook Address Book for Envelopes in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman910

Technical User
Aug 21, 2001
US
I am trying to do a mail merge in MS Word to print envelopes for a group of customers who I have set up as a group in Outlook (not Outlook Express). In MS Word, at Tools/Mail Merge/Get Data, I can select my whole address book, but not a group within the address book, so I think I have to use "Open Data Source" rather than "Use Address Book." I do not know the path to whatever folder Outlook saves Groups of Contacts in the Address Book, so I can't get any further. Does anyone know how to find the right folder?

What do you mean by "group"? That's not an Outlook term. Do you mean a distribution list? No can do, as I recall.

Just get into your Address book and add all those people to a contacts folder. Right-click that folder, go to properties and make it an Outlook address book. Then you should be able to pick it from Word... Anne Troy

Hm. You could also try exporting that address book as an Excel file...then use the Excel file for the mail merge instead. When you go to merge, you simply choose Merge to: Electronic Mail (or whatever it says), and it'll ask which column heading in Excel is the column where your email addresses are. Anne Troy

Use categories in your contacts in Outlook. Then view "by category" and select all the contacts in the category for which you want to do envelopes. Still in Outlook, select Tools, Mail merge. In your first screen you have a choice between all contacts or selected contacts. The rest of the mail merge is same as if you had initiated it in Word.

Thanks all!

Dreamboat, your solution is a good one. However, "Groups" is an Outlook term, actually. If you open Outlook, and click on the address book button or press Crtl Shift B, you see the Address book, and if you click the "New" button to create a new contact, it gives you a choice of creating a new contact or a new group. Once created, a group shows up in the "To" menu when a mail message (e-mail)is addressed. Using groups allows you to send an e-mail to all addresses in the group without manually selecting them, and I'll bet there are ways to make other uses of groups.

I've experimented with some of the ideas you all have suggested, and it is true there are many ways to skin a cat (with apologies to the feline lovers in the forum). I settled on creating a subfolder under contacts, and copying my contacts for the group into the new folder. This keeps the contact data intact in its original form, but allows the data to be manipulated diffently in each folder - for instance, you can use multiple parties names if there are several people at one address, by putting "Jane Roe and John" in the First Name field and "Roe" in the last name field, or moving a middle name into the first name field with the first name, since the Mail Merge in Word disregards the middle name, and Outlook only contemplates one person per contact. The downside of all this, of course, is that as soon as you create multiple folders containing different files for variations on the same data, you increase the future data input chore when addresses or other data changes-Bummer. This would be avoided by using groups, I think, if there were a way to to a mail merge from a group, and is probably also avoided by the use of categories, as suggested by Holdew - which may be my approach next time I have to do this, or the first time there is a data update necessary, but for the immediate task the problem is solved. Neither use of groups or categories will, however, allow use of one form of name or address for one purpose, and another form for another (for example formal names for business correspondence and husband and wife names, or "The Roe Family" for social correspondence such as holiday greeting cards. Anybody have any ideas for achieving that without creating duplication of future data input effort if contact info changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back