Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use MySql Db as entry point(Login Creds) and redirect to other MySql db/s in php 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes1283

Programmer
Jun 13, 2007
ZA
Hallo Guys,

So my question might be more architecture related than actually any coding info.
The site that i am building will contain personal info, from identification info to historical data of a person.
All of this data will be captured from unique companies, and they will be using this separately, no data integration should happen.

So the idea i have is to create a login screen, which would go to a "LoginDB" when the user logs in. The login detail would require an extra parameter for instance a country.
As the product will be used internationally. So once the user enters his creds, the logindb should validate the user and then return his actual company db path.

Once this happens the user will be redirect/connected to his actual company db. So my question is practically speaking what would be the best way to do this, in the sense of when the users creds has been validated.
Should i have a service running between the databases or can i just do all of this using straight db scripts.

I have spoken to multiple people regarding this and everyone has their own opinions, which is fine and good. I would like to know for security reasons as i will need to implement encryption on the site as well.
i am fairly new to web dev so i would like to know what everyone's opinions are regarding this and which would be the safest and smarted way of going about this.

Mucho Appreciated.

A central Login site doesn't sound like a good idea for your case. Your software sounds like best be delivered as a SaaS solution, not just an account at a central domain serving your software, but something you can provide to each customer as totally independent solution, though in the cloud rather than on premise. Some cloud software, which a customer might host on a) an own domain and b) with his own corporate looks. Even if the design is not your main concern right now, the separation of customers data looks rather like separate installments than any central site, even just for login and redirection. Rather like Exchange or Office365 or Google Apps for Business your solution would have separate homes for each company/customer and they wouldn't go through a central site. You open up your Outlook or Gmail and are in your account with such solutions. Yes, there is authentification, but it'll be towards the customers installation of the system rather than at a central login.

This topic is far beyond what a single developer can do, when just beginning web development. To begin with such an infrastructure is like trying to learn sailing on a space ship instead of starting with a dinghy. In the sense of think big start small cloud providers offer their services with a huge amount of free resources, indeed the cloud platforms are a good thing for start ups, because you only pay what you use. The first thing you would need then is someone with more web and cloud experience. I'm just tarting with the AWS and Azure stuff. Since Azure now conforms to EU and german laws governing data protection and data security since a few days, the german customer base for such SaaS, IaaS, PaaS or general ...aaS solutions will grow, but I am not the one you look for, yet. You also better ask in cloud related forums, eg forum1816. This is something not involving PHP+multiple MySQL databases and a central login/user db, this is something involving a VM or even sets of VMs starting per demand per company/customer and also for single customers as necessary for scaling. It's not over the top to think in this categories, even if you only have a small user base, as the cloud is a scalable pay-for-what-you-use platform anyway.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks Olaf, I will definitely take your opinion into consideration.
Appreciate your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back