Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use multiple e-mail addresses with Exchange 5.5 / Outlook 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anskia

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

I work for a UK manufacturing company running Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 and Outlook 98 as a mail client, connecting via the "MS Exchange Server" service.

We have a leased line internet connection, and three different internet domain names routing e-mail to the Exchange server.

We'd like to give a limited number of users an e-mail address on two different domains, and the ability to choose which one they use when composing an e-mail. (ie - me@thisdomain.co.uk, or me@thatdomain.com)

I've searched the MS knowledgebase and looked on Google without success - can anyone point me in the right direction, or even confirm that this is possible?

Oh - and it needs to be simple to select which address is to be used. [shadeshappy]

Regards

Robert

The easiest way of doing this would be to have two mailboxes, which 'me' owns. One mailbox with the email address of me@thisdomain.com and the other with the email address of me@thatdomain.com. Set the less used mailbox (me@thatdomain.com) to deliver its email into the other mailbox using Exchange Admin - mailbox - delivery options - alternative recipient. Configure Outlook to open the me@thisdomain.com mailbox. If you want to send an email from me@thatdomain.com then use the 'From' button and put the me@thatdomain.com mailbox in there. As you are also the owner of this mailbox it will be 'sent as' rather than 'sent on behalf of.'
Does this make any sense?
Hope so.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look into that now.

Regards

Robert

Richard,

I've tried this out and it does work, but seems to be dependent on having the second mailbox visible in the Global Address List (when I hide it, I can no longer select it as a "from" address).

While this could be used at a pinch, it's far from ideal. Have you (or anyone else) got any other suggestions for achieving this?

Thanks & regards,

Robert

Yeah, I know what you mean, it isn't ideal. I'm going to have to do this to about 30 important, but not very computer literate users soon and I'm not looking forward to it.
Have you thought about using address book views to separate the three lists of mailboxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back