Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use List Boxes w/SQL linked tables. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lradon

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
I noticed that when I upsized a table to SQL 7.0 and then linked it to an Access 2000 database via a SQL ODBC connection, I lost my drop-down boxes. Can anyone confirm that you definitely can use list boxes or combo boxes with sQL tables with Access as a front end?

Is there a way to do this or a work-around? How would I do this with an Access form in front of the linked table?

Thanks, lradon

Thank you Remou. I read the article. Now to convince the committee. I know that the users are not going to want to use this database that I am making, because it will be double work.

lradon

Why should it be double work? The look-ups can all be built into forms. And if the users get some extra functionality they need (or think they need) ... [ponder]

Good point Remou.

I'm making a database to track losses resulting from fraud and/or teller overages/underages that our financial institution takes periodically. And the users already have to perform corrective transactions in our core system and then will be expected to turn around and key in what they just did in this loss database. Management wants a tool to be able to track and report on the losses to try and combat the problems.

You're are right, in the fact, that I can make the drop downs in the forms.

So, if I understand this clearly, I don't need to make lookup fields in the tables, I can just upsize everything into SQL tables, pull the tables through the ODBC links and make the forms in Access with combo boxes, or whatever.

Thank you!!! Sorry this reply is slow long, I guess I needed to talk it out. Here is a star for your time.

lradon

In fact, instead of lookup fields you'll use lookup tables.
Have a look here:

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV!!! That is exactly what I will be doing. --lradon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back