Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use hyperterminal over lan? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aramirez148

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
does anyone know how to connect to an opt.11 using hyperterminal or procomm plus or telnet over a LAN?

try to use the CRT soft and RLOGIN protocol with IP address of M1 like HOST NAME

Milos

Hi,
if you have Procomm you could open your connection directory add a new connection entry and under telnet options enter the IP address of the Meridian. Give your new entry a name say "PBX". So when you open Procomm select the Telnet Mode and from there "PBX, this will then telnet to the specified IP address.
Hope it works.
Slán
Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

Depending on the site location, you can also connect the Port 0 serial data cable to either a term server port or serial data port of your router (if there is one), then, in Procomm Plus Paulk29 said with a different name for each PBX. I do this and it works great. I also have a second port configured on each switch going to a constant telnet connection at a PC with multiple Procomm sessions open (one for each PBX) and running capture files to capture any significant events. It is easier to perform searches on these capture files than it is on the history file for the switch.

I have tried the telnet/rlogin on opt 11c's. Draw back is when you AX to voice mail you cannot ctl ] back out. If you do AX to voice mail with rlogin you will have to INI to get MM to release.

Hi

I have Option11c i try to loging using the telnet programm

it fails to connect on port 23 .. i can able to ping the meridian system IP..

I cannot able to login to it..

it gives error..unable to connect to ip xx.xx.xx.xx with port 23

can anyone tell me what is the problem in that..

and give me some soln to login my meridian remotely and configure it remotely using the TELNET program.

Adavance Thanks for your replies

Gobi

The problem with telnet is; Telnet is an IBM/DOS terminal emulation, The Opt 11c - 81c use an Operating system call VxWorks witch is a Unix based operating system. Rlogin is to Unix like Telnet is to Windows. Even when you get Rlogin you still need to have a VxWorks Id to get past the operating system login. I have 2 other tech under me so I went with terminal servers and HyperTerminal and know I have OTM with the Web interface. OTM general server 50 set license should run under $500 if you install it yourself. OTM web does have issues with meridian mail.

Hi Yz250..

Thanx For your Reply.. Where can i get the 50 set OTM General server Licence.. ffor 500$ Pls tell me the Number and emailid to get that licence for 5o set with 500$ OTM licence

Thanx in advance
Gobi

I have never seen anybody being able to directly telnet to a Merdian before. I know you can use a terminal server software on a pc and telnet to the pc which is physically connected to a TTY port. I am wondering from what I read, that there is a way of doing this. If so, I would be very interested.

BTW: OTM is a great tool for the Meridian but for the $$$$ I would seriously consider using a terminal server attached to a TTY port. You can find these devices for next to nothing and it works great. You never have to worry about patches or upgrades. Just a thought!

Hi mlebas, what is Simp Term? Can you elaborate? I appreciate all the replies from you guys. I was told once before by an instructor at the Richardson, Tx. training facility that this was possible so I am continuing to try to get this done

OK first of all I want to clear a few things up in this thread.

RLOGIN and TELNET are 2 separeate protocols, they have nothing to do with UNIX or Windows specifically. Telnet uses TCP Port 23 and, RLOGIN uses TCP port 513 (I think) and supports a basic level of authentication.

The reason you are presented with the PDT Login when you RLOGIN to the M1 is because you have not specified a username.

If you set up RLOGIN to use username CPSID1111 you will be put right through to the X11 Overlay. the "1111" turns on MTC SCH BUG and TRF respectively.

Also for this to work you need to have a PTY (Pseudo TTY) Configured in LD 17.

Now to use RLOGIN you need a comm package that supports that protocol. ProComm, Reflections do for sure, as do many others.

--
Fletch

My employer/company provides training, installation, and support for OTM and we get product from a Nortel Autorized re-seller for US customers. If interested in that $500 - 50 set OTM package I can give you a name and number to call.

contact me at brendon.obrien@eteltech.com

Hi Obone

It is coool.. Can u give me the Number and contact person to get the OTM for $500 for 50 set pakage..

Thanks

gobi,

Give Rodney (with Enterprise) a call at 713-343-1222.
I am assuming that you just want the OTM General system for MACs.

The part numbers you might need are NTTL01AD /A0889534 for a new system or NTTL08DD / A0889542 if upgrading from MAT.

This way you get a price for the parts you need only. You'll avoid going through Nortel's configurator which is often misunderstood by dealers and can include unnecessary components.

You'll need to give your system ID and company information etc. if you proceed with the purchase but get a quote first to make sure...say that the folks at eTEL referred you.

Good luck.

Obone

Thank You very much for your information

Hope it will work for me.

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back