Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use expression for value in data table column

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondsc

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
I am using vb.net in visual studio 2005. I have a dataset in my project that contains multiple tables. I have used the dataset designer to add a new column to a table. I want to use an expression in the Expression Property to set the value for this column. The value should be a sum of a column in a different table in the dataset. I want to enter an expression into the Expression Property to do this. I have tried the following:

Select Sum(columnname) From tablename

I get the following error:

Property value is not valid.
Syntax error: Missing operand after 'sum' operator

Can this be done? If so, what is the correct syntax for the sql expression? Thanks.

Try
Code:
Select Sum('columnname') From tablename

Regards,
mansii

I neglected to say I've tried quotes everywhere I could think of in the SQL statement and I get the same error. I also tried referencing the column in the following ways:

Sum([tblName].[ColumnName])
Sum([tblName.ColumnName])
Sum([DataSetName.tblName.ColumnName])

I've placed the brackets in all the different configurations. I get the same message each time:

Property value is not valid.
Cannot find column
[DataSetName.tblName.ColumnName]

I guess my question at this point is, is it possible to set an expression in the Expression Property of the dataset designer to reference a column from a table other than the table that contains the calculated column? Thanks.

I found the correct syntax for the expression. It is:

Sum(Child(RelationshipName).ColumnName)

This only works if the two tables are related which in my case they are. However, I'm not getting the result that I should be getting. The relationship does exist between the two tables and there are existing rows in the child table that relates to one existing row in the parent table. I should be getting the sum of the values in the column in the child table from the rows that relates to the one record in the parent table but I am receiving a null value. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back