Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Evaluation version of software for Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinton25

Programmer
Mar 20, 2004
BB
I wish to train 10 people in MS Excel 2007. The training facility computers have Ms Office 2003 licenses. Would it be legal to install the evaluation version of the software, train for two days and then uninstall the software?

Are you evaluating the software? Doesn't sound like it.

I would be surprised to find out that it is legal, and even if it is, I think it's clearly unethical.

That being said, have you read the evaluation version license? What does the license say about legitimate uses of the evaluation copy?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Do these people already know how to use Excel? If so try these

faq68-6918

You may also find some training materials and demonstrations on the microsoft website for free.

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

I think there's a bit of a grey line there. I have taken some classes (MS sponsored, of course) where they used a half dozen virtual machines running evaluation versions of Windows Server inside Virtual PC. I've always assumed that training was a legitimate use for eval versions. In fact, I have heard Microsoft advocate that IT people download evaluation copies of their applications and OS to learn the software.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

I've taken some college courses where we used eval versions as well. I don't know if the school had an agreement for that use or not.

One way to look at eval software is as a sales tool. Try it, if you see something you like, you'll buy it. Training could be similar, people who are exposed to the product and have a good experience are more likely to buy it - or a company who's people can use it more effectively are less likely to switch to a competitor.

I doubt MS would agressively prosecute, but as Cajun mentioned, it really comes down to the actual wording of the EULA.

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. I am also thinking of persuing this scenario for another software package, so in both cases I will review the EULA.

I do think it would be unfair for the client to purchase licenses (USD 300 x 10), train the individuals, and then leave the licenses unused.

Meanwhile those people who were trained would then purchase their own licenses (USD 300 x 10), which would mean two sets of license fees for the vendor.

Actually I have been thinking of training in OpenOffice Calc (initially because I know a few of the participants can't afford Office). So does that count as an evaluation-being trained in both packages and then deciding which one is best?

Question, if the users are going to eventually purchase the copies for themselves, why not just do it now? Maybe work out something where the company covers half the cost and the employee the other half?

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Really not my area, I am only the trainer.

I don't get involved hands on with licensing, software installation etc. Just trying to ensure that when I get there, the software is installed, I do my job, and then I leave.

One difference though is if you were putting together a training room/facility that is used in the same config all the time. Where I used to work we put together our own in-house training room with 10 PCs, and we had to use the full versions there. If you're building the machine "to order" for each class, then you'd probably be OK with using evals, depending on how they were deployed.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

Good point, if it was an ongoing training exercise then i agree that the software should be licensed, especially since it would expire in 60 days!

But in this case it is one-off training, so I am hesistant to tell them outlay for licenses that may never be used beyond the 2 days.

I traveled around the country for about 10 years doing corporate training. Most of the companies would copy an image onto the training room pc's with whatever o/s & software was needed for that class. The only software companies that complained were the exceptionally greedy ones. And no Microsoft wasn’t one of them. In fact, they encouraged it so they could sell more to new users.

Most companies went along with it since it meant more people knew how to use their software and were more likely to purchase or recommend the purchase.

Now that you've clarified that this is not an ongoing training (originally I thought you meant install, use, uninstall, repeat), I think you might be able to get away with eval versions.

Again, it all comes down to the EULA. However, you could alway try contacting the vendor and getting authorization. As others have pointed out, the training is beneficial for them as well. Also, the fact that you want to comply with the license agreement is likely to work in your favor.

The reason trial software exists is the publisher's wish for you to get to know, get familiar with, and love the product. This love will extend to your home, your work, and any other place where their software could possibly be used. It is a commercial offer, not an altruistic one, that they hope will result in more software sales.

Most publishers want you to use the program as much as possible during the trial period, so I see zero ethical concerns with getting a group of people used to working with software that someone will eventually have to buy someday.

It's why trial software exists in the first place.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back