Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use any group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonteponte

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2004
SE
Hi there,

I'm trying to setup a GFS job that backs up to a Overland storage (GROUP1) for daily and weekly backup. The monthly backup I'm however trying to store on a tape device (GROUP2). I've added tapes from my tape device into my monthly pool and in the backup job I've selected "Use any group". When the job runs however it will always want media from GROUP1. So even if I only have media from GROUP2 in the monthly pool it will stop and request me to load media to GROUP1. Am I misinterpreting the functionality of "Use any group"? How should I solve my problem? Thanks!

Could really need some help here, question is simple: Is it impossible to combine different types of media in a GFS job? If so, can someone help me with how to setup a custom job that works like a GFS job?

what do you mean by different "types"?
If one is LTO1 and the other LTO2 then no it is not possible.

I don't know enough about Arcserve to know what you mean with LTO1 and LTO2, sorry :( One device is like I've said an overland (reo 4000) with disc based storage and one device is a tape-device.

Could you tell me the intended use of the "Use any group" checkbox on the destination tab of a backup job?

Or maybe give me a suggestion on how to setup a job/jobs that backs up daily and weekly to the overland storage device and monthly to the tape-device?

The USE ANY GROUP applies to hardware device groups. If you have more than one tape drive / device, you can select a default device/tape group. If it is not available or there is no media available for that device, then it will try another device/group.

Phil Gordemer
ARH Associates

LTO 1 & 2 are two different types of tape drives which are most popular with Overland libraries.

I read back through you original post and now feel that what you want to do can not be done by just one GFS job. It will be necessary to setup two jobs, a rotation for your daily and weekly backups and a second custom job for the monthly.

Thanks for your replies!

I have been trying the idea with 2 jobs and tried to do it this way:

GFS Job 1 (daily and weekly backups): No media i Monthly pool. I disable backup manually the last day of the month.

Problem: If 31 July is the last day of the month and I turn off backuping at that date, Arcserve seem to change 30 July to monthly backup instead.

Job 2 (monthly backup): Can't figure out how to set it to run last weekday of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back