Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use ADO to create querydef 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfd777

Programmer
Sep 21, 1999
IE
Hi All,

Can't find the answer for this one but it is probably staring me in the face!

We are re-writing an application from Access 97 to Access 2003. The front end is access and the back end is SQL Server.

In the '97 version we create pass-though queries as the recordsource for our forms, use DAO, as follows:

Declarations:
Dim mysql as string
Dim dbs as database
Dim qdfname as querydef

mysql="select * from customers where cust_id=12345"

dbs.QueryDefs.Delete "Customers_qry"

set qdfname=dbs.CreateQueryDef("Customers_qry")
qdfname.sql=mysql
qdf.Connect="my connection string goes here"
qdfname.ReturnRecords=True
qdfname.close
dbs.close

Therefore on a customers form, the record source is a pass-through query running on the server with a where clause of the current customer id.

We are using ADO in Access 2003 so I am looking for a way to either re-create queries as above, or set the recordsource of a form dynamically using SQL generated in ADO (which may return more than one record).

Also, if it is possible to re-create querydefs, is it possible to create using a OLEDB connection rather than ODBC and also a connecvtion that does not require a DSN

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi

To recreate the procedure using ADO (& ADOX) something along the lines of the code shown below should work.

I'm still using Access(97) at work so haven't been able to test this but I think it should be OK.

Code:
Sub CreateProcedure()
    Dim cxnDB As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command
    Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog

'open connection
    cxnDB.Open "ConnectionString"

'Open catalog
    Set cat.ActiveConnection = cxnDB

'Delete existing procedure
    cat.Procedures.Delete strProcedureName

'Create new procedure
    cmd.CommandText = strSQLStatement
    cat.Procedures.Append "ProcedureName", cmd

'Clean up
    cxnDB.Close
    Set cat = Nothing
    Set cmd = Nothing
    Set cxnDB = Nothing

End Sub

Instead of deleting and re-createing the query you may be better of using a paramertized command and change the parameters depending on the "cust_id".

Hope this helps

Waud

Thanks for the advice guys. I was trying to avoid creating SQL Server objects such as views and Stored Procedures. Perhaps a paramaterised stored procedure is the way to go. This should negate any inefficiencies used by using ODBC rather than OLDDB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back