Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb2 external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzFan

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US
I copied my music files from my emac to an external usb drive, now I want to take this usb drive to my windows machine and be able to copy the files to my hard drive. Is this possible? Can anyone help?
Thank you very much in advance.
Jazzfan

As long as the PC recognizes the format the files are in, it should work.

terpy

I connected the usb drive to the pc, windows xp recognized the new hardware but it did not show up on My Computer, I then went to control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management and the drive is there but kind of undefined. I don't have an option to assign a letter to it. It is like windows wants to reformat it and erase what I've got in there. Not sure what to do next.
Again thanks for your help.
jazzfan

Can you click on the "sort of there" drive? You don't say what version of Windows XP you are using. It is possible that there is a setting that prevents Windows from accessing the next available drive letter. (This is a stab in the dark.) Do you have any other USB devices that work?

First, make sure the USB drive works by trying another device.
Once you are sure the USB drive works, make sure that your USB port can accept the USB drive--there are different versions, USB devices are backwards compatible with older ports, but you should make sure.
Then try to figure out if there is a restriction on drive letters. If you have TweakUI, that will tell you what drive letters are available.

The file extensions are mp3 and aac

I don't know if this will help, but I bought me a new external hard drive and could not get it to show up in My Computer or Explorer, however I could see it in disk manager and if I right clicked and selected explore, I could see the files. My problem once found by me was that TweakUI had check marks in all the drive letters that I had functional at the time before adding the USB external drive. I put check marks in ALL the drive letters, A through Z and it showed up and all was fine.

gbaughma, Your link is not operational. I would very much like to see what's in there, who knows? The answer I'm looking for could be there.
Thanks again
jazzfan

Oh, poop. I don't know how to paste the link to another thread... it's

thread779-853465

Ummm.... it turned out in that thread that the person had GoBack or something loaded on the drive, that's why he couldn't mount it.

If the drive has any kind of DiscManager (DriveMuncher) or other such partitioning utility on it, that will cause the problem you're describing.

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back