Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB2 Drive Enclosure Not Recognized 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

myriad46

Instructor
Apr 21, 2004
US
Hey folks,

I feel stupid to have such a simple problem, but here we go. I bought a USB2 drive enclosure, a, "Speed Metal Box." Put a drive in and plugged it in. Windows saw it, installed it and said "go ahead". It appears in Device Manager but not in My Computer. It claims it needs no drivers for XP. Any ideas?

Ed

Yup.

It's not formatted, or it doesn't have a drive letter associated with it.

Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management (Local)... you should see the drive there... right-click on the drive, and assign it a drive letter.

Just my $.02

--Greg

Greg,

You are indeed correct and everything was where you said it would be. But, when i right click on it, the only choice i have is to delete the partition. It reports that the removable drive is a "healthy, active" drive and is NTFS like the system drive (it was a 2000 system's boot drive)

Well, if there's nothing on the drive (sounds like it's a new drive), you can delete the partition, re-create it, then assign a drive letter to it.

Hope this helps! (don't forget the star... heheh)

--Greg

It's the hard drive to my old computer which has a lot of things i would like to transfer. I tried putting it in the new tower using the IDE cable, and it did the same exact thing...

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

Well, if it was me, I'd mount it in a Linux box, since it supports a variety of file systems. But, that's probably not an option. :)

The weird thing is that if the machine that you pulled it out of was an older (or the same) OS as the machine you're using it in now, it should see it. Hmm.... (Do I smell smoke? Uh-oh... I'm thinking again....)

Just a thought... try manually setting the drive parameters in the BIOS the EXACT SAME WAY that they were in the old machine. OOH... wait... you weren't running Drive Manager or something sick like that on that old drive were you? You know, that utility that "lies" to the computer and OS to allow you to run a bigger drive than your BIOS supports? That would definately cause the problems you're having.

--Greg

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, but i was clued into my idiocy recently. The drive that i was attempting to transfer files from contained GoBack. I have since tried the drive enclosure on a non-GoBack drive and it works like a dream. I feel dumb for having not thought of it sooner. Thanks for all the help.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back