Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB2 device on USB1 MB connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupuytren

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
I have an older (only 3 years!) MSI K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) motherboard that only has a USB 1.0 connector. What will happen if I connect a USB 2.0 memory card reader device? Will it refuse to work or just run slow? What are my options, other than buying a new motherboard?

dupuytren i have the same board....i personally think that's a great board.....red circuit board....awesome!!!

anyhow, yes it will work at 11Mbps....

SET CRTL ALT DEL = #728
-----------------------
greg

It will just run slower than its potential - most of the new memory cards can run at ~10MBytes / second, so you have a potential 8x speed increace if you had usb 2. You can search for a pci usb 2 card, they might be pretty cheap now since all new motherboards come with more than enough usb 2 ports.

Dito all above.
You should get an pop up saying that the PC has detected a Hi Speed USB device attached to a slower USB connection, something like that but it will work fine, just a little slow.
USB1.1 12Mbps
USB2 480Mbps 40X faster
Thats magabits not megabytes (think USB2 is around 60megabytes/sec? something like that)
So the easiest thing for you would be to buy a USB2 PCI card, they are very cheap now (£15/$25?) for a 4 porter.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back