Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Hello
Does anyone know of a VCL that will enable access to the USB ports?
If not has anyone used the D2XX drivers from Future tech? (the only thing I could find on Torrys) and if so how easy/hard are they to implement?

Steve.

There is no such concept as a USB port.
USB is a full serial master slave bus not a serial line like RS232.
You always talk to USB devices. Talking to the USB port is as silly as talking to your ethernet cable.

There is not much API to access for USB.
Most USB devices are accessed through other APIs without any USB specifics at all.
A USB stick for example is a removable harddisk.

To access HID devices (joysticks etc, a subclass of USB devices) you can use my free Delphi HID component available at

hm.. interesting.. I guess it is the same for firewire.. ?

thanks in advance
mha

Can we go a bit deeper into this, I realise that you cannot simply talk to a cable.
We have been asked by an existing coustmer to add a USB(and Irda maybee Firewire) interface to his product. we have looked briefly at the Texas TUSB3410 interface chip. Texas tell us that this chip is recognised by Windows as a USB device, fine, but how do we then talk to it, e.g implement the existing serial data stream. ? Will we have to write a low level driver specificaly for the product or will Windows give access to registers within the chip, if so how, if there are no API's
Steve.

This might be of interest to others, I dug around on the web and came up with a Driver creation utility for USB and other buses. 'Windriver' by Jungo, and it interfaces with VB, CBuilder and Delphi.
Delphi examples are included.
The version I downloaded is quoted as being able to talk to the Texas USB3410 Chip.
The 30 day evaluation period should at least give us time to work out what is involved.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back