Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Trackball not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur

Technical User
Jan 5, 2000
US
Visit site
Hi forum friends,<br>
I have a Kensington Orbit Trackball with a USB connector. My motherboard has two USB ports. One of them is used for a digital camera. The trackball is to the other one. The camera is recognized quickly, but the trackball is dead. Do I need a driver for the trackball? It does not come with a driver, and there is no user's manual. The camera works well on both ports.<br>
Please point out the problem and a solution is desperately helpful.<br>
Thanks to all.

If you have your machine set up to look for a serial or PS/2 pointing device, it will probably not look for the USB settings. Remove th other pointing devices in device manager and then reboot. It will then find it and install the correct software for it.<br>
<br>
<p> Matthew Blyde<br><a href=mailto:mblyde@becon.org>mblyde@becon.org</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Regardless of what pointing devices may already be installed, you should definitely receive notification when the trackball is attached to the USB port.<br>
<br>
What OS are you running? Windows 95 is by far the least cooperative when it comes to USB support. Although, it does very well with Camera devices. If 95, goto Windows 98 or 2000. <br>
<br>
Find another USB device to try. With the devices you are attempting to use power consumption does not appear to be an issue.<br>
<br>
Have you tried both hot and cold connection of the device...same results? Exchange this for another trackball, different manufacturer if necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back