Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb to serial adapters on vista os

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguyhawaii

Vendor
Jun 22, 2006
US
my usb to serial adapter died and i tried another brand and it doesn't work. anyone using a usb to serial adapter with the vista os? anyone have any recommendations?

aloha

This is a HUGE problem lately with the current trend of laptops not having a serial port available.

Although I have nothing to offer regarding Vista, I can tell you that, in general, when buying an adapter [!]DON'T SHOP ON PRICE![/!]

The $20 to $40 adapters seem to be the ones most have issues with. People complain less, it seems, with the $75 to $100 adapters. I guess you get what you pay for. In my opinion, if this is a critical part of your job, just like any other 'tool' - don't skimp on what you buy.

I was able to capture quite a few good reviews on Google by searching for USB Serial Adapter, and it steered me away from one that I was going to buy!

--
Fletch

Nortel Emergency Services PLM

Check out this month's E911 Talk podcast at Nortel E911 Talk Podcast

I buy the $7 ones from ebay...never had a problem. I just have to remember to plug into certain usb port on my vista notebook for COM4.
I have had the expensive ones quit on me.

thanks guys i just tried a belkin xx409 and it worked flawlessly.....hopefully i can walk out the door without returning it lol......

I was a victim of the "usb - serial" not working. When I looked a bit closer, it turns out that the driver disk allocated serial port numbers 5 - 8, which procomm will not recognise.

If this is the case, with your adapter plugged in.....

Computer Management / device manager / Ports (Com and LPT)

This should be your USB - serial adapter.Click on the Port Settings tab, click on the Advanced radio button, and at the bottom of the screen, you can change the port allocation to the USB that you are using

dfksydney procomm allows up to com port 10. you just have to allow it in the procomm config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back