Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB To FIREWIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFH

Technical User
Sep 26, 2001
ZA
Hi

I have a JVC Digital Mini DV Video camera.
It has a small DV in/out port
People tell me that I should get a Firewire port to be able to access this feature.

Is there a way that I can use My USB port with some kind of converter to get Firewire or is firewire a completely different set of rules.

What is a good price for the port?
What type of software do I need?
Thanks

Just a guess, but because USB is so much slower than fire wire I think it would be impossible to step up so to speak in transfer speed as the USB connection would be a bottle neck.
The other way around might be possible, firewire to USB.
I think a fire wire PCI card is your only option unless anyone knows of any other device that could be used?
Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

We may soon see an adapter that will plug into the USB 2 port, but USB1 has a max speed of 12Mbits per sec whereas the IEEE 1394 (also known as firewire) runs at 400Mbits per sec. There just isn't the bandwidth available on standard USB. USB 2 will work at up to 480Mbits per sec, so it might be available with that connection soon, but USB 2 just came out so it'll be a while. by the time it becomes available, you'll have been able to do alot of video editing with your firewire card.
HG

You asked a couple of questions, and I will answer those here:

You asked: "What is a good price for the port?
What type of software do I need?"

A good quality - (I wouldn't recommend one I wouldn't put in a customer's comptuter)

*No kidding: $22.00

FIREWIRE IEEE 1394 CONTROLLER CARD ( KW-582V2 ), 3+1(2 independent external ports + 1 internal/external shared port) with cable & Video Editing Software Retail Version for PCI Slot. Model #: IOFLEX-FW4 Model#: KW-582V2 Special FedEx Saver Shipping $8.00

Just go to newegg.com and type in
"Koutech" or "firewire"

> On your software:
You should use the software that comes with the Digital Camera, or contact them for their recommendations.

Hope this helped..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back