Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukiedoo

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
CA
Hi, i just bought a new Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L motherboard and everything was working fine, but when i added a new hard drive my usb controllers have no more power! I cant use a mouse or any usb devices. I think its some kinda safety feature some mobos have but im not sure how to fix it. I think the usb powers off auto if it detects more devices so the PS wont overload. Does anyone know how to fix this? I have to use my mouse as PS/2 now =( and i cant even use any other USB devices.

Does the mouse still work without the harddrive plugged in? Is Best Buy or Circuit City currently running a promotion on a usb hub for ~$10 after rebate?

This is what happened. I installed the new HD and the USB power is off now im not talkin about a hub or anything its the internal usb from the mobo. I then realized something was wrong so i went backwards through what i have done so i unplugged the 2nd HD i have just installed and no luck the power from USB is still off! =/

Check your BIOS settings to make sure that your USB Port is set to "Enabled".

This is the reason I can't stand USB keyboards... turn off the USB port in the BIOS and then what do you do?

You'll most likely need to find yourself a PS/2 keyboard. Hopefully (if not done already) they will write routine into the BIOS that checks for the PS/2 keyboard and if it's not there, the USB Port enables itself for the BIOS (at least).

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

When you installed the new Hdd, was it to replace the old drive? If so, Have you reinstalled the OS onto the new drive along with the USB drivers from the MoBo install disk?

If the Onboard drivers have not been installed it may cause the Usb not to function.

I only use the USB mouse and sometimes my DIgital camera but 100% the mouse and thats the problem my keyboard is PS/2 but ive noticed if i put USB to enabled instead of auto my ps/2 mouse and keyboard do not work =/. And no i havent reformatted again bc ive already done that and it was working fine untill i installed the new drive.. Someone told me that new motherboards have some kinda safty where it turns off USB if u add more hardware. Why? I dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back